[lawmajordonors] Fwd: Campbell Law Finishes in the Final Four at Tournament of Champions

Leonard, J. Rich leonardjr at campbell.edu
Mon Nov 8 15:11:59 EST 2021

________________________________
From: Terry, Tatiana M. <tmterry at campbell.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 8, 2021 12:25:47 PM
To: lawstudents at list.campbell.edu <lawstudents at list.campbell.edu>; Law School - Faculty & Staff <LawSchool-All at campbell.edu>
Cc: Combs, Summer L <slcombs at campbell.edu>; Tilly, Daniel R. <tillyd at campbell.edu>
Subject: Campbell Law Finishes in the Final Four at Tournament of Champions

Campbell Law Finishes in the Final Four at the Tournament of Champions Mock Trial Competition.

Campbell Law third-year students Miriam Sheppard and Mike Vitale, along with second-year students Christian Allred, Adia McLaughlin, and Liza Trent competed at the Tournament of Champions national mock trial competition this past weekend. The National Board of Trial Advocacy is the annual sponsor of the Tournament of Champions. This year the Tournament of Champions trial competition was hosted by Loyola University Chicago School of Law. The competition problem involved prosecuting and defending an individual charged with murder and/or manslaughter. The trial demanded students apply complex principles of evidence and criminal procedure while persuasively arguing on behalf of the prosecution and defendant. Miriam and Mike flipped masterfully as lawyers between representing the two opposing sides, often on the same day. The Tournament of Champions includes four preliminary rounds before the four highest-ranking teams are named as semi-finalists.  After the preliminary rounds, Campbell Law emerged as one of the top teams with an undefeated record of 4-0.

In the first round, Campbell faced Samford University, Cumberland School of Law. After the first round, judges noted our advocates’ command of the courtroom and mastery of the rules of evidence.  The team went on to face teams from Baylor Law School, Wake Forest University School of Law, and Loyola Marymount University School of Law. These universities are well-known as some of the finest advocacy schools in the country.  Our Campbell advocates defeated all of these teams.  After advancing to the final four, our advocates presented a strong case in the semi-final round against a tough University of California Berkely School of Law team.  Both teams were polished and talented.  Campbell was narrowly defeated by four points on split ballots. Our team placed in the competition as semi-finalists – a terrific result. While the team did not advance to the final round, the exemplary performance of Miriam, Mike, Christian, Adia, and Liza earned Campbell Law an invitation to the 2022 Top Gun Mock Trial Competition. The team was coached by Director of Competitive Advocacy Tatiana Terry and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs Dan Tilly.

Please join me in congratulating these outstanding student advocates for their success, dedication, and hard work in representing Campbell Law!

Tatiana Terry

Professor of Trial Advocacy & Director of Competitive Advocacy

919-865-4481

[cid:image001.png at 01D7D49B.2C6ED780]