[Law25] 3L Practice Rule AKA Student Practice Certification Forms/Process

Fonville-Swint, Niya T nfonville at campbell.edu
Wed Feb 22 16:35:28 EST 2023

***Please read if your summer internship/externship requires you to be certified to represent clients in court or before an administrative tribunal! ***

Students,

Those of you who will provide direct representation to clients in court or before an administrative agency this summer, can seek certification from the NC State Bar (formerly known as the 3rd Year Practice Rule). If you are unsure if you need to be certified, ask your internship/externship supervisor. I have attached a 1-page review of the certification process, along with other important documents. All are discussed below. I encourage you to complete these forms ASAP, as your request will be one of many processed across the State. Finally, please note that your supervisor must be a licensed NC attorney and you cannot be on academic probation.

Student Practice Certification Process

  1.  Student Practice Certification Information Sheet-. For those who may have previously been certified, Campbell Law has a process whereby you will submit your signed documents directly to me instead of the State Bar. If you are working at a Public Defender or District Attorney’s office, then they may wish to submit a single form with all of their summer interns/externs on it directly to the State Bar. That is OK, simply let me know when you provide me with your student form. The forms you need are attached (also available on the career center’s Blackboard page (Information tab --> Student Practice Certification folder).
     *   Certification as an INTERN (receiving no academic credit)-interns must submit the Law Student Certification (signed by the student only), Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your attorney supervisor only), and MEMO of Understanding (signed by both you and your attorney supervisor). All of these forms must be emailed to me (unless in the situations mentioned above where some offices like PD or DA elects to send a single list of interns to the State Bar. If that happens, remember, I still need a copy of your Law Student Certification and Memo of Understanding before the law school will complete its form for the State Bar). Electronic signatures as OK.

                                                               i.      For the Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification, please make sure your supervisor puts exact dates for the certification period (i.e., 5/15/23-8/1/23 and not “Summer 2023” or “May - August 2023”). Failure to do so will result in a delay of your approval.

     *   Certification as an EXTERN (receiving academic credit)- externs must submit the Law Student Certification (signed by the student only) and Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your attorney supervisor only). Both of these forms must be emailed to me (unless in the situations mentioned above where some offices like PD or DA elects to send a single list of interns to the State Bar. If that happens, remember, I still need a copy of your Law Student Certification before the law school will complete its form for the State Bar). Electronic signatures as OK.

                                                               i.      For the Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification, please make sure your supervisor puts exact dates for the certification period (i.e., 5/15/23-8/1/23 and not “Summer 2023” or “May - August 2023”). Failure to do so will result in a delay of your approval.

     *   *CLINIC STUDENTS: These instructions do not apply to students working in a law school clinic. In those cases, please follow your professor’s instructions re: obtaining your certification.
  1.  Rules Governing Practical Training of Law Students-This is a copy of the NC State Bar’s rules about student certification. You will be expected to have read these rules. If you are working in a private law firm, you can only serve “eligible persons” as defined by the State Bar (and located in the Rules and Memo of Understanding). This is not negotiable, as it is a State Bar rule. Please do not jeopardize your reputation (remember your character and fitness application for the bar exam) or the integrity of our program by engaging in unauthorized work. If you find yourself trying to navigate this conversation with a supervising attorney, then please reach out to me for additional guidance and support.

Please do not hesitate to reach out for clarification after reviewing the information provided in this message and in Blackboard.

Sincerely,

Niya Fonville Swint, Esq. [A button for name playback in email signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/niyafonville>
Adjunct Faculty | Director of Externships
Pronouns she/her/hers (Why Pronouns Matter<https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why>)
Norman A. Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Ste. 101
Raleigh, NC 27603
Tel. (919) 865-4697   |  Fax (919) 865-5993
Connect on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/niya-fonville/>
Personal Zoom Room: https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/j/9254384492?pwd=b3d0ekRGelM3cFBqTWNMSExiUkZSZz09
Students:  request an appointment<https://law-campbell-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?signin_tab=0&PHPSESSID=2f167499d26637e928909d58103fb998&signin_tab=0>
Employers: Post a job for a Current Law Student<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/qidlrne1km7ll5/> | Graduate/Alumni<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/q13wlxj071m4mx/>
Visit our website<https://law.campbell.edu/succeed/career-center/>!

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D719AD.23B04470]   [Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate]
Be kind. Be Intentional. Remember intent ≠ impact.