[Law24] PLEASE READ! Spring 2023 Student Practice Certification (formerly the 3rd Year Practice Rule)

Giancola, April M agiancola at campbell.edu
Tue Nov 1 09:48:53 EDT 2022

***Please read if your spring internship or externship requires you to be certified to represent clients in court or before an administrative tribunal! ***

Students,

Those of you who will be providing direct representation to clients in court or before an administrative agency in the spring, can seek certification from the NC State Bar (formerly known as the 3rd Year Practice Rule). If you are unsure if you need to be certified, ask your internship/externship supervisor. I have attached a 1-page review of the certification process, along with other important documents. All are discussed below. I encourage you to complete these forms ASAP, as your request will be one of many processed across the State. Finally, please note that your supervisor must be a licensed NC attorney and you cannot be on academic probation. Finally, all documents should be submitted to me until 1/1/23. After that time, please email them to Dir. Niya Swint (nfonville at campbell.edu<mailto:nfonville at campbell.edu>).

  1.  Student Practice Certification Information Sheet-provides a general overview of the process The forms that you will need to complete can be found in the Law School Career Services Blackboard Organization (you automatically have access).
     *   Certification as an INTERN (receiving no academic credit)-interns must submit the Law Student Certification (signed by the student only), Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your attorney supervisor only), and MEMO of Understanding (signed by both you and your attorney supervisor). Electronic signatures as OK.

                                                              i.      For the Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification, please make sure your supervisor puts exact dates for the certification period (i.e., 8/15/22-12/1/22 and not Fall 2022). Failure to do so will result in a delay of your approval.

                                                             ii.      If you are working at a Public Defender or District Attorney's office, then they may wish to submit a single form with all of their summer interns/externs on it directly to the State Bar. That is OK, simply let me know when you provide me with your student form and Memo of Understanding.

     *   Certification as an EXTERN (receiving academic credit)-externs must submit the Law Student Certification (signed by the student only) and the Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your attorney supervisor only). Electronic signatures as OK.

                                                              i.      For the Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification, please make sure your supervisor puts exact dates for the certification period (i.e., 8/15/22-12/1/22 and not Fall 2022). Failure to do so will result in a delay of your approval.

                                                             ii.      If you are working at a Public Defender or District Attorney's office, then they may wish to submit a single form with all of their summer interns/externs on it directly to the State Bar. That is OK, simply let me know when you provide me with your student form.

     *   *CLINIC STUDENTS: These instructions do not apply to students working in a law school clinic. In those cases, please follow your professor's instructions re: obtaining your certification.

  1.  Rules Governing Practical Training of Law Students-This is a copy of the NC State Bar's rules about student certification. You will be expected to have read these rules. If you are working in a private law firm, you can only serve "eligible persons" as defined by the State Bar (and located in the Rules and Memo of Understanding). This is not negotiable, as it is a State Bar rule. Please do not jeopardize your reputation (remember your character and fitness application for the bar exam) or the integrity of our program by engaging in unauthorized work. If you find yourself trying to navigate this conversation with a supervising attorney, then please reach out to me for additional guidance and support.

Best regards,
April

April M. Giancola, Esq. (she/her/hers)
Assistant Dean of Career and Professional Development
Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27603

Students:  request an appointment<https://law-campbell-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?signin_tab=0&PHPSESSID=2f167499d26637e928909d58103fb998&signin_tab=0> (if you cannot find a time, please email)
Employers: Post a job for a Current Law Student<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/qidlrne1km7ll5/> | Graduate/Alumni<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/q13wlxj071m4mx/>
Visit our website<https://law.campbell.edu/succeed/career-center/>
Personal Zoom Room<https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/j/4686177597?pwd=cmRCQXdBRU90NW81K2xCTWpkN3R4UT09>
agiancola at campbell.edu<mailto:agiancola at campbell.edu>
Office: 919-865-5894  |  Fax: 919-856-5993

[Image preview]