[Cusom27] CUSOM Orientation - FINAL DETAILS!

Pipes, Deborah A dpipes at campbell.edu
Mon Jul 17 10:13:46 EDT 2023

Hello, Students!

Orientation starts NEXT WEEK! 😊

We are looking forward to welcoming you to CUSOM! Orientation is MANDATORY and is Wednesday, July 26th through Friday, July 28th. We have also assigned everyone a session on Tuesday, July 25th for pick-up of laptops and other materials. Please see the attached schedules for our pick-up day as well as our Orientation sessions. Below are a few details regarding Orientation and other important information related to the start of classes. Please let our Student Affairs team know if you have any questions. See you soon!

Orientation

TUESDAY, 7/25:

  *   On Tuesday, you will pick up your laptop and receive training,  get fitted for your white coat, take your professional headshot, complete a video voice file (for name pronunciation), and pick up your student ID (if you complete the submission process by 7/19).
  *   **PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION to the day/time you are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday:

O   Last name A-D, arrival 8:40 – 8:50am

o   Last name E-K, arrival 10:10 – 10:20am

o   Last name L-P, arrival 12:40 – 12:50pm

o   Last name R-Z, arrival 2:10 - 2:20pm

  *   Dress code for Tuesday is business professional attire (shirt, tie, and jacket for men; dress or blouse and jacket for women). We will be taking professional headshots of all students on Tuesday. The headshot is from the waist up and this will be the photo we use for all four years of your time in medical school (no pressure)! 😉
  *   You may park in any unmarked parking space (not “F/S” – faculty/staff spots). Please see information below on registering for your parking permit.
  *   You will be on campus for approximately 2 hours during your pick-up timeslot, so please plan accordingly if you need to bring a water bottle or snack with you.
  *   This year, we will have a table available with information on the HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship) Program if you are interested in finding out more about military scholarships to help cover the cost of medical school.

WEDNESDAY - FRIDAY, 7/26 – 7/28:

  *   Please eat breakfast on your own before you arrive each morning during Orientation. We will not be providing breakfast, but we will have water and snacks available for you throughout the day on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
  *   Please note arrival times for each day of Orientation (as listed on the attached Orientation schedule).
  *   Dress code for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of Orientation is business casual attire (no tie required; no jeans, sweats, scrubs, tennis shoes, etc.).
  *   Please note: the lecture hall temperature fluctuates frequently, so please dress in layers and bring a sweater or jacket as it can be chilly!
  *   We will be providing lunch for you on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of Orientation. On Wednesday, all students will have lunch with their faculty advisor. We will have vegan/vegetarian options available as well.
  *   Please bring your CUSOM laptop with you on all days of Orientation.
  *   On Thursday after lunch, we will have locker assignments. **PLEASE BRING EITHER A COMBINATION OR KEY LOCK with you on Thursday. If you bring a key lock, be sure you have an extra key to give to Student Affairs to keep on file.
  *   On Friday, July 28th, we will also provide lunch at our Welcome Picnic for all first and second year students, faculty, and staff (vegetarian/vegan options provided). You may bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit out on the lawn (weather permitting). You may also bring a change of clothes for this event if you would like to change after Orientation concludes. Our SGA will organize some outdoor activities that afternoon and it will be a great time to get to know other students!

Updated Emergency Contact Information

  *   Once you have secured LOCAL housing, please fill out the following Wufoo survey so we can keep track of your contact information. This information is MANDATORY and is collected from students at the beginning of each academic year. We will also use this information to register all of our students for national SOMA membership and will be following up individually until each student has completed the survey.
  *   Emergency Contact Wufoo:

https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/ms1-updated-contact-information-class-of-2027/

  *   This survey is due this FRIDAY, July 21st. No need to resubmit if you have already filled it out.

Campbell Emergency Alert System

  *   If you have not already done so, please sign up with your mobile phone number so you can be alerted about weather delays or any other campus-related emergency.
  *   https://campbell.omnilert.net/subscriber.php

Parking Registration

  *   All students must renew their parking  permit each year (as they expire every August).
  *   The enrollment portal for commuting students opens this Wednesday, July 19th.
  *   To register your vehicle, please visit: https://www.campbell.edu/campus-safety/parking/vehicle-bicycle-registration/ and click on “Register your vehicle or bicycle”.
  *   Please see the attached document for additional parking information.
  *   Parking registration is FREE for CUSOM students.
  *   Once you register your vehicle, you may pick up your parking sticker at Campus Safety (on main campus).
  *   Parking citations will begin August 23rd, but please pick up your parking permit during Orientation week (one less thing to do the first week of class)!
  *   If you have any questions regarding your parking permit, please reach out to parking at campbell.edu<mailto:parking at campbell.edu> or Ms. Lori Gregg, email: lgregg at campbell.edu<mailto:lgregg at campbell.edu>.

Student ID

  *   You should have already received an email (in your Campbell inbox) from “Campbell University Online Photo Submission” which gave you some instructions and a link to submit your photo online for your student ID.
  *   If you have not already done so, please follow the instructions in that email and upload your photo for your Student ID. This is due by Wednesday, July 19th.
  *   If you submit your photo by July 19th, you should be able to pick up your Student ID on the “pick-up” Tuesday of Orientation during your scheduled timeslot.
  *   If your photo is NOT received by the July 19th deadline and/or it is not available for pick up at Orientation, you will need to notify Student Affairs so we can have your photo submission email resent to your Campbell email. Once your uploaded photo is received and the ID card is created, you will pick up your student ID in the Bryan Hall Lounge on main campus.

Book List

  *   Please do not purchase anything until after Orientation so you can determine what is available to you at CUSOM first.

Clinical Skills Equipment

  *   You have already received an email with information on clinical skills equipment.
  *   You DO NOT need to purchase anything yet. The Steele’s group order deadline is not until the end of August, so you will have time to decide what to purchase and plenty of reminders from SOMA.
  *   The only item you DO need to purchase for the first week of class is your short, white consultation lab coat (this may be purchased on Amazon).
  *   Although scrubs for Anatomy Lab are NOT required, some students do like to wear them. You may purchase any scrubs / any color you like if desired, but closed-toe shoes and pants are required.

Accommodations

The CUSOM Office of Student Affairs collaborates with the Campbell Department of Disability Services to assist students in the academic accommodations process. We want to be sure these accommodations are in place by the start of classes on July 31st (so that’s one less thing to think about as you start medical school)!
If you have a diagnosed health condition or learning disability and would like to request accommodations in medical school, please schedule an appointment (in person, on the phone, or via Zoom) with Ms. Laura Rich, our Director of Disability Services, at the following link. You will need to forward documentation to Ms. Rich before your meeting so your needs can be verified and reviewed.

https://www.campbell.edu/students/student-success/disability-services/

Big Brother / Big Sister Program

  *   You will each be assigned a big brother or big sister in the MS-2 Class of 2026. They may be reaching out to you to welcome you to CUSOM!
  *   We will provide your big brother/big sister list in your Orientation folder so you can connect with them.

OK, that’s it for now! ☺ See you all NEXT WEEK!

Blessings,

Debi

Debi Pipes
Director of Student Affairs
School of Osteopathic Medicine | Campbell University
Post Office Box 4280 | Buies Creek, North Carolina 27506
Levine Hall Office #115 | 910-893-1784 | medicine.campbell.edu<http://medicine.campbell.edu/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D9B4D4.02DFFB40]<http://medicine.campbell.edu/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or reply by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail from your computer system.  There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication.  Thank you. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL ME IMMEDIATELY AT 910-893-1784.