[PT2021] Summer Schedule

Green, Michelle D mgreen at campbell.edu
Wed Apr 29 09:09:01 EDT 2020

Good Morning!
This has nothing to do with finals or practicals.
Yay!

I wanted to update you on the changes in the summer schedule.
Shifting an entire semester to an online format is challenging when you are in a field that relies so heavily on "live" lab work and hands on psychomotor skills. In putting together the summer schedule,  the focus was to ensure the time was used wisely and necessary skills could be developed. In order to do this, a few changes have been made.  The actual schedule will be coming out soon (I don't know exactly when) but I wanted to let you know of what your classes will look like.

772 Lifespan peds (Noonan) didactic with be combined with 774 Lifespan peds (Noonan, from the fall) didactic.  That means your Peds class this summer will be the didactic from the summer and fall and 2 hours (versus 6 ) of lab work.  In the fall, the  Peds class will be all lab.

776 Lifespan MSK will be moved to Spring 2021.  The skills required for this class can not be done online (swapped with 786 Special Pops)

786 Special Populations from Spring 2021 will be moved to this summer.  This is the biggest change in the schedule.   This class is 5 weeks of Pelvic Health and 5 weeks of Vestibular.  It is already mostly online.  The adjuncts for the class are completing the online material as we speak.  Brooke Browning (maybe Dr. Hodges) will be doing labs for Pelvic Health and Dr. Eubanks and I will be doing lab for vestibular.   There are 2 weeks in the fall where we do vestibular in my class (so we can pull skills forward) and Myers does additional concussion work.  So the material will be learned and repeated.

780 Lifespan Neuro will go on as normal. This summer is a lot of clinical reasoning through case dissection and task analysis.  Dr C and I are committed to working on developing videos for you for practice and explanation. We have wanted to do this for years, so we are seeing it as an OPPORTUNITY.

732 which was the Hemiplegic Camp is now redesigned to spread out awareness of unique areas of PT beyond the hemiplegic camp. Dr. Eubanks has done a GREAT job at finding resources and setting up an online course.

The testing blocks for 772/780 will remain. So, there are three days when you have 772 and 780 tests  then on that afternoon we do a fun activity called Lifespan Team Days. We bring together the Lifespan Team (Noonan, Smith, Green, Constantine, Myers, Tudini,Crouch) and present a topic and talk about its impact/application across the Lifespan.  This year we are doing Telehealth, Rural Health and I'm in charge of the 3rd... any suggestions for topics?

In July- if we are given permission to come back on campus for limited lab time- you will complete the lab for 768.  6 hours per day on Fridays for all of July (July 3, 10, 17,24).  DO NOT PLAN VACATIONS on these days. They are mandatory. If we cannot do this in July, we will need to reschedule this section of lab to the fall or spring.

I hope this provides some insight.  Please know that you will NOT be "losing out" on skill development. The curriculum is nicely layered to allow repetition of material and we are confident this plan will provide you the needed education. We got this!

If you have any questions, reach out to me and I'll answer them.  Remember, ask me, not each other.  If there is confusion, just ask!  It helps prevent the "telephone game" from getting folks overly anxious about a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm available to answer any questions.
Happy Hump Day Y'All!
Green