[PT2021] and there's more...

Green, Michelle D mgreen at campbell.edu
Fri Apr 17 15:09:36 EDT 2020

It does not say to do a Brunnstrum screen, it says to do a motor screen of the UE/LE and I guess I should have italicized brunnstrum- I wrote that word to help you remember you have to clear it.

We never talked about a Brunnstrum screen- only a motor screen.  Like you learned in MSK a basic ROM/Motor screen.

BUT... we added one element- you can't do that screen unless you know they are isolated, so clear isolated movement first
    Remember:you should expect they are isolated or you wouldn't be using a screen!!!!! If you expected they had spasticity and were in a synergy pattern- you wouldn't choose a screen, you would fully assess the limb and go through all the brunnstrum stages to assign it a stage- we went through this in detail on the limb algorithm forms!

Isolated means they can move outside of the synergy pattern
UE:  shld flexion, to 90, supinate and isolated finger touches
LE: toe taps, then hip and knee flexion without evidence of trunk compensation or hip
abduction

These are evidence of isolation - then continue with your basic ROM/MMT screen from MSK  (can you do this, hold, this, hold, don't let me push you, don't let me pull, blah, blah, blah- you already know this)

Hope that helps.
Again- we have never discussed doing a Brunnstrum screen, we have talked about a motor screen, but you can't use those dandy little MMT scores unless you know they are isolated - add that in and you've got a screen.

🙂