[PT2021] Pro Bono Mentorship Details

Wilson, James jmwilson0307 at email.campbell.edu
Thu Feb 21 18:57:43 EST 2019

Hey Gang (insert Dedrick accent),

I realize my explanation of my mentorship role for pro bono was pretty
shoddy so here's a more thought out explanation. The role as
mentorship chair is a bit ambiguous, but I'll give a better description of
some things I have done in the past and what I envision for the future:

- main goal is to promote good working relationship between classes during
pro bono and facilitate learning opportunities for each cohorts (both
during and outside of pro bono)
- example of learning opportunity: last Fall, each class got together
during lunch hour 1x/week to go over new skills learned in MSK - 2nd years
mostly helped 1st years fine tune new skills
- above example could start to be applied now and continued every semester
to practice and maintain skills gained (i.e. for Spring/summer semesters,
1st years practice Test and Measures/subjective interview skills, 2nd years
practice MSK skills). I am working on reserving a room during lunch 1x/week
to make this happen; I'll update y'all once that's official.
- brand new role as of last year (though I'm the second generation I
guess?) so lots of flexibility
- ability to help out other members of the board
- unofficial job responsibility: help oversee data collection and research
project for Exercise is Medicine with another board member (Ranndi Grubbs)
and Dr. Tudini (faculty-in-charge); more details to come with this project
as it is still new to me but I'll have more details after 2/28

Since this is a new role, there's room to grow it and make it what you feel
your class needs. So if you really want to be involved but you're okay with
some uncertainty in your job description and just helping out when needed,
this is a great position for you to consider!

Time commitment: varies based on the semester but plan for a board meeting
~1x/month during lunch (this can change depending on necessity) in addition
to being regularly involved with pro bono as a provider. Truly not that
much more commitment than already being a regular provider. I hope this
helps and does not make it seem daunting because it definitely isn't.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any further questions, either via email or
in the building.

Gratefully,

James M. Wilson, Jr., SPT, CSCS

Campbell University