[Pa23] FW: EXTERNAL EMAIL: Cardiology PA Fellowship Information Session

Johnson, Betty Lynne bljohnson at campbell.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:21:27 EST 2023

FYI 😊

From: Lori Mcvay <Lori.Mcvay at Centrahealth.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2023 2:56 PM
To: Johnson, Betty Lynne <bljohnson at campbell.edu>
Subject: EXTERNAL EMAIL: Cardiology PA Fellowship Information Session

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Campbell University. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
Hello, my name is Lori McVay, and I am the Program Director for the Centra Heart and Vascular Institute PA Fellowship Program located in Lynchburg, VA. We currently offer a cardiology PA Fellowship program which is in its fifth year. We will be hosting a winter information session on 1/26/23at 6pm for interested individuals and I wanted to reach out to you to share information about our program and the upcoming information session in hopes that you would be willing to forward this to interested students. I am happy to answer any questions you may have and appreciate your willingness to share information about our program with your students.

Overview
The Centra Heart and Vascular Institute is part of the Centra Health network, a non-profit healthcare system based in Lynchburg, VA.  The program started in 2017 and our first fellow graduated in 2018. Since this time, we have grown to a class size of two. Many of our graduates remain with the practice and are now members of the fellowship team.

Clinical Experience
The Fellowship is nine months in duration.  We offer both didactic instruction and hands on clinical training.  Our fellows spend time in the inpatient and outpatient setting under the direction of our faculty which includes physicians, NPs, and PAs. While our focus is general cardiology our fellows rotate through the following subspecialty areas to include electrophysiology, heart failure, valve, and structural cardiology, vascular medicine, the vein center, interventional cardiology, cardiac imaging, congenital cardiology, and cardiothoracic surgery.  Fellows also complete a community hospital rotation and will have the opportunity to complete an elective rotation within the Centra Heart and Vascular Institute.

Didactic Instruction
Each rotation has dedicated didactics to include assigned reading, lectures, and case presentations. Fellows also participate in cath conference, morbidity and mortality conference, research and scholarship as well as receive dedicated EKG instruction, documentation education, mentoring and professional development.  During the fellowship each fellow will also complete a practice improvement project.

Eligibility

•                      Be a graduate or be on track to graduate successfully from an ARC-PA accredited PA program.

•                      Passed the NCCPA certifying exam or be exam eligible and have passed the exam prior to the program start date.

•                      Must be Virginia state licensure eligible at the time of interview and have obtained Virginia state licensure prior to the program start.

•                      DEA at the time of program start.

•                      Meet all criteria for privileging as set forth by Centra Health and all payors at the time of program start.

Application

•                      CV

•                      One-page personal statement demonstrating desire to work in cardiovascular medicine.

•                      Letter of recommendation from cardiology preceptor and PA faculty member (if applicant did not complete a cardiology rotation at the Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI)). This requirement is waved for those completing a cardiology rotation at HVI.

•                      Recent professional photograph.

•                      PA Graduate Transcripts

Admission Process

•                      Program applications are accepted starting February 15th and are due by April 15th. Applications must be submitted to the Program Director by email. All applications must be complete at the time of submission; partial applications are not accepted.

•                      Selected candidates will be contacted by the Program Director by email to schedule an initial virtual interview.

•                      Interviews will occur in May of each year.

•                      Top ranking candidates will be offered an in-person interview.

•                      Candidates will be notified of decisions by the Program Director no later than June 1.

Program Start

•                      Third week of October

Credentials

•                      Certificate of Completion

Website

•                      https://hvi.centrahealth.com/services/pa-fellowship

Information Session

•                      Please see attached flyer.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Lori McVay, DMSc, PA-C, CPAAPA, DFAAPA
Program Director Heart and Vascular Institute Fellowship Programs
Centra Heart and Vascular Institute
2410 Atherholt Road
Lynchburg, VA 24501

Centra Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.