[Pa23] Hurricane Ian

Pope, April G popea at campbell.edu
Tue Sep 27 15:45:37 EDT 2022

Dear Class,

Due to the unpredictability of tropical storms and hurricanes, everyone should be tracking this storm path of Hurricane Ian (not just the coastal students).  Any shift in the trajectory may put you directly in the path of the storm. We ask that each of you use your own judgement in assessing your situation. You should make decisions to report to or leave from your rotation based on your clinical site recommendations, your commute route, and your personal comfort level. Your safety is our priority.  Keep in mind, if you are working a shift in a hospital, you may be safer at the hospital than at your home. Please be mindful of your shifts based on the arrival time of the storm, and plan ahead with your preceptor. Keep the Clinical Team informed of any schedule or shift changes as we need to be able to account for everyone’s location.

If your clinical site remains open and you feel comfortable reporting to clinic, then you should do so. If you do not feel safe, or if your site is closed, then stay home, but maintain communication with both your preceptor and the clinical team as soon as that decision is made. Discuss exchanging cell phone numbers with your preceptor or office manager (before the storm) in case the office is closed but you need to contact each other.

Here are a few inclement weather tips/reminders:

  *   Fill your vehicle with gas BEFORE the storm hits
  *   If AHEC housing officials evacuate residents, you must leave
  *   NEVER drive through flood waters
  *   CHARGE your phones and devices
  *   Purchase drinking water and non-perishable food (snack bars etc)
  *   Fill your bathtub with water for hand washing and to flush your toilets
  *   Purchase a flashlight and batteries
  *   Consider purchasing a weather radio with batteries

Any rotation time missed will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.  If additional hours are required (and cannot be made up on this rotation), the Clinical Team will work with you to acquire these hours during breaks or holidays if needed.

Also, remember that Campbell.edu<http://campbell.edu/> may have important information regarding local conditions.  If you have not done so already, you may sign up for campus alerts that will be delivered to your phone at https://www.campbell.edu/alerts/ .

As we know from past experiences, these storms may be just a slight inconvenience, or they can shut rotations down for several days. Keep in mind, it is always best to hope for the best and plan for the worst- (see attached FEMA checklist).

Please remember that we are here for you if you have any questions or concerns.

Stay safe and well!

APope/Clinical Team

April G. Pope MPAS, PA-C
Director of Clinical Partnerships/Associate Professor
Campbell University Physician Assistant Program
Phone- 910-814-4929
Cell- 919-215-4659
Fax- 910-814-5567
E-mail- popea at campbell.edu<mailto:popea at campbell.edu>

To access our Campbell PA Program clinical year website, please go to:
https://apps.exxat.com/public/steps/Campbell-PA/Home

Confidentiality Notice

This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission, including all attachments from your system.