[Pa23] ortho course

Gerstner, Laura R. reedl at campbell.edu
Wed Mar 16 19:40:39 EDT 2022

HI everyone!

I hope your first week of block 4 is going well!  I will be course coordinating the orthopedics course, so I just wanted to give you some advice to help you organize and prepare for the wealth of information that will be coming your way starting next week!

In order to prepare for each of the joint-specific lectures (next week is cervical-thoracic spine & shoulder on Monday, then elbow-wrist-hand on Tuesday), please skim/read the corresponding chapters in the Essentials of Musculoskeletal Medicine textbook that is required for the class - this should be available for free digitally.  Please also make sure you have reviewed the pertinent anatomy and NORMAL joint-specific x-rays that will be covered in advance (this week) by Dr. Kesic, as I won't be taking anytime to review these items.

There will also be a physical exam checklist posted for each joint that we will practice in lab (next Wednesday for c-t spine and upper extremity), as well as a video demonstration of these physical exam skills as well.  It would be incredibly helpful to watch these videos before the lecture as lecture will cover both the joint-specific physical exam AND specific conditions of that joint.

Next week, we will talk a little more about the ortho physical exam check-offs that will occur at the very end of the block too that will be a portion of your final course grade.

See you on Monday morning!
Mrs. G

Laura R. Gerstner, MHA, MSHS, PA-C
Director of Clinical Education & Associate Professor
Campbell University Physician Assistant Program
gerstnerl at campbell.edu
910-893-1252

https://apps.exxat.com/public/steps/Campbell-PA/Home