[lawmajordonors] FW: Quoits

Leonard, J. Rich leonardjr at campbell.edu
Fri Mar 4 11:00:21 EST 2022

From: Leonard, J. Rich <leonardjr at campbell.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 10:57 AM
To: Law School - Faculty & Staff <LawSchool-All at campbell.edu>; Law School - All Adjunct Faculty <LawSchool-AdjunctFaculty at campbell.edu>; lawstudents at list.campbell.edu
Subject: Quoits

Friends,

Many of you know that I am a huge fan of Chief Justice John Marshall.  A while back, I spent a year trying to dig out the story of the thirty-two years he came to Raleigh twice annually to preside over the North Carolina Circuit Court, and wrote a law review article about it.

Much of my fascination with Marshall comes not just from his legal brilliance, but from his remarkable humility, sociability and zest for life.  His absolute favorite pastime was playing quoits, an antecedent of horseshoes.

I have attached two excerpts from the wonderful 1916 biography of Marshall by Albert Beveridge talking about his love of the game.  Every Saturday afternoon when he was in Richmond, he was the leading member of the Quoits Club.  And when he came to Raleigh, he played with locals in the street outside the boarding house where he stayed, a couple of blocks from the law school.

Why am I telling you this?  I think it is time to resurrect this tradition, and accordingly, have bought sets of quoits and quoit boards that we can set up outside and learn to play.  I have also attached the rules.  They should be here next week, and hope they will be as much fun for us as they were for Chief Justice Marshall and his compatriots.

Dean Leonard