[Law25] READ THIS for Summer Externship Information

Swint, Niya T nfonville at campbell.edu
Wed Mar 29 16:06:19 EDT 2023

Students,

If you are interested in a summer externship (getting credit for your summer internship), there are 4 things you must do-secure a placement, register for my class, submit your Student Performance Agreement, show up for class and your externship.

Please take note of the following information, which is meant to supplement the email I sent to you in February.

  1.  PLACEMENT: Make sure your supervisor is OK with your experience being an externship. This is particularly important if you did not find your position through Symplicity (and it was not advertised as an externship in the system). If you have found your own placement, then please reach out to me to ensure it is an eligible placement. If your placement is a PRIVATE LAW FIRM, then 100% of your work must be on the firm’s pro bono cases (regardless of whether you are receiving payment or not from the firm). If it is a criminal defense firm doing court-appointed work, then that is OK, as the defendants have already been determined financially eligible by the Court.
  2.  REGISTER: You must register for the summer class (either LAW891: Externship 1 or LAW892: Externship 2). If you have problems with registration, please contact the Registrar’s office.
     *   Read the special note about externships at the end of Dean Tilly’s memo about summer classes. You want to make sure you register for the correct course (i.e. if you want to defer billing to the Fall OR have your summer externship billed this summer)
  3.  SUBMIT AGREEMENT: I must receive the attached Student Performance Agreement prior to the first day of class. If you do not have your supervisor’s contact or schedule at this time, then please do not submit your agreement. Do not assume. Please ask your site who they would like listed as the supervising attorney. This person will receive correspondence from me throughout the semester. 1Ls: I recognize that you do not currently have 27 credits, as the form asks. You can still say “yes,” so long as you plan to have 27 credits at the end of this semester. Any forms that I need your supervisor to sign will be given to you after our class starts. If you are on academic probation but have a summer externship opportunity, reach out to me directly.
  4.  SHOW UP: You must attend the mandatory bootcamp/orientation on Monday, May 8. This will be VIRTUAL (over Zoom or in Blackboard Collaborate). You can receive your 120 hours between May 9-July 21. It is OK if you are working a split summer and may not be starting your externship right away or may be ending before July 21. You are still required to attend the bootcamp, regardless of your start date.

I hope this information helps. Please reach out with additional questions.

Sincerely,

Niya Fonville Swint, Esq. [A button for name playback in email signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/niyafonville>
Adjunct Faculty | Director of Externships
Pronouns she/her/hers (Why Pronouns Matter<https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why>)
Norman A. Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Ste. 101
Raleigh, NC 27603
Tel. (919) 865-4697   |  Fax (919) 865-5993
Connect on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/niya-fonville/>
Personal Zoom Room: https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/j/9254384492?pwd=b3d0ekRGelM3cFBqTWNMSExiUkZSZz09
Students:  request an appointment<https://law-campbell-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?signin_tab=0&PHPSESSID=2f167499d26637e928909d58103fb998&signin_tab=0>
Employers: Post a job for a Current Law Student<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/qidlrne1km7ll5/> | Graduate/Alumni<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/q13wlxj071m4mx/>
Visit our website<https://law.campbell.edu/succeed/career-center/>!

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D96254.D5109930]   [Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate]
Be kind. Be Intentional. Remember intent ≠ impact.