[Law25] Your Spring Assignments

Thrower, Susan E thrower at campbell.edu
Tue Jan 3 11:23:33 EST 2023

Dear students,

In LRW II, your assignments will not only deepen and widen your skills in analysis and writing; they will help you learn and practice these new skills:

--research (as you already know);
--receiving an assignment from a supervisor the way legal supervisors usually give assignments; and
--reporting back to a supervisor on your progress on an assignment before it is due.

I'm sure you already know that supervising attorneys do not give law clerks and associates neatly typed-up explanations of client facts and issues to analyze; they usually orally explain what they want an employee to do while the employee feverishly writes notes on a notepad, swiftly reviews those notes to ask follow-up questions, and departs to jump on the research process.  Your LRW II professor will begin teaching you these skills right away in Week One, so you will need to come to class prepared to do these tasks:

--write notes of what your professor says during the assignment part of class;
--ask follow-up questions, right then, that you may have about the assignment; and
--begin the research process.

To help you think about the most effective and efficient ways to receive an assignment orally, rather than in writing, I am attaching some reading that you may wish to do prior to your first LRW II class.  You are only about four months away from your first legal job!  We want you to be ready.

Professor Thrower