[Law24] Campbell Law 2022-23 Appellate Advocacy Team Tryouts

Terry, Tatiana M. tmterry at campbell.edu
Mon Oct 17 17:07:55 EDT 2022

2L & 3L Students,

Campbell Law School will be competing in a host of moot court competitions throughout the country this year. Last spring, our teams began a return to an in-person season by competing in New York, NY. This year, our Appellate Advocacy Team is slated to return to a completely in-person competitive advocacy season set to compete in California, New York, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., and many other destinations. In our 2021-22 season, our appellate advocacy team won a regional championship and that showing was terrific. However, I have great hopes for this year's team to achieve that and so much more. As such, we will be hosting our annual Appellate Advocacy Team tryouts to select the next group of outstanding appellate advocates to extend our winning tradition.

Campbell Law 2022-23 Moot Court Team tryouts are scheduled for next week.  Moot court tryouts are open to all second and third-year students.

Any 2L or 3L student may participate in tryouts, regardless of whether that student participated in the intramural moot court competition this year or last.  That said, evaluators will be utilizing the problem from the 2022 Richard A. Lord Intramural Moot Court Competition.  The record on appeal for that case is attached.

Tryouts are scheduled for Tuesday, October 25th (from 5:30pm-7:00pm), Thursday, October 27th (from 5:30pm-7:00pm), and Friday October 28th (from 10:00am-12:00pm). Advocate candidates participating in the appellate advocacy tryout process must present to a panel of faculty, adjunct coaches, and local attorneys/judges on behalf of either the Respondent or Petitioner (as you choose) for a period of no more than 5 minutes, utilizing the case file from the 2022 Richard A. Lord Intramural Moot Court Competition.  You may choose to argue only a single issue (again, whichever issue you prefer) and will only be questioned on your issue.

Tryouts will take place in the Boyce Courtroom located on the 3rd Floor.  If you are interested in participating in moot court team tryouts, please select a tryout slot using the following online registration link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4CADA82EA4F5C34-campbell4

The deadline to sign up for tryouts is 4:00 p.m. on October 23, 2022. After you signup, please complete the attached application and send it to me and Anjanette Porter (cc'd above) by October 23, 2022, at 5:00pm.

If you have any additional questions, please email me. We are excited about the competitive appellate advocacy teams we anticipate fielding this year.

I strongly encourage anyone interested to sign up for tryouts.

Good luck to everyone!

Tatiana Terry
Professor of Trial Advocacy & Director of Competitive Advocacy
919-865-4481
[cid:image001.png at 01D8E247.370290A0]