[Law24] PLEASE READ! (1) Summer Externship Course & (2) Student Practice Certification (formerly the 3rd Year Practice Rule)

Fonville, Niya T nfonville at campbell.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:32:42 EDT 2022

***Please read if you’re planning a summer externship OR if your summer experience requires you to be certified to appear in court!***

Students,

As you continue making plans for your summer, I wanted to reach out about the externship program and becoming a certified intern. For those who do not know me, I am the Director of Externships, which allows me to combine my passion for student development with my love for the practice of law. As we move forward, many of you may be contemplating an externship during your legal education. I am hopeful that you will find the attached documents helpful as you begin this process, especially for the summer (although fall externships have already started being posted in Symplicity, with more to come later this month and through the summer). Remember, you can either use an opportunity that is advertised as an externship in Symplicity or convert an internship into an externship (so long as the employer agrees and it’s an “approved” type of organization).

Registering for the summer 2022 Externship course:
In order to receive credit for your externship, you must register for the appropriate externship summer course. Dean Tilly recently sent a memo for the summer courses. You will need to either register for Externship I (for your first externship) or Externship II (if this is your second externship). Before registering, please read the special note at the bottom of Dean Tilly’s memo about payment for your externship class. You can be billed for the course this summer (many students choose this option if they need the 2 credits to help them qualify for summer financial aid) OR you can defer billing to the Fall (this will allow you to avoid having to pay for the credits this summer but instead have the credits as part of your fall tuition-the credits also will not count toward your maximum allowed credits (NOTE: an exception for FLEX students). Please read the memo to ensure you enroll in the appropriate section of Externship I or II.

If you plan to participate in an externship for summer 2022, then you must attend the virtual externship bootcamp/orientation on Monday, May 9 from 9:30a-12:30p. You cannot begin counting hours until class starts on May 9 and hours must be complete by July 22. Please save these dates now. More details about the bootcamp will be provided to those who enroll.

Resources:
Resources about externships, including the documents mentioned in this email, can also be found on the Law School Career Services Blackboard page (you automatically have access) by this path: “Information tab --> Externships folder.” For now, I have attached the following forms for your review:
Externships Only

  1.  Externship Information Sheet-This form will answer most, if not all, of your questions about the program.
  2.  Student Performance Agreement-You will need to complete this and email it to me (nfonville at campbell.edu<mailto:nfonville at campbell.edu>) before classes begin on May 9, as it will help me confirm that you are in a qualifying placement. If you already have your placement secured, you can email me the completed form now. Otherwise, please do so as you confirm your placement.
  3.  Step by Step Guide-This is referenced in the Student Performance Agreement.

Student Practice Certification (for externships and internships)

  1.  Student Practice Certification Information Sheet-Those of you who are interested in providing direct representation of clients in court or before an administrative agency, can seek certification from the NC State Bar. I have attached a 1-page review of the certification process. For those who may have previously been certified, Campbell Law has a process whereby you will submit your signed documents directly to me instead of the State Bar. If you are working at a Public Defender or District Attorney’s office, then they may wish to submit a single form with all of their summer interns/externs on it directly to the State Bar. That is OK, simply let me know when you provide me with your student form. The forms that you will need to complete can be found in the Law School Career Services Blackboard Organization (you automatically have access). Please look in the Student Practice Certification folder under the “Information” tab (Information tab --> Student Practice Certification folder) for all details concerning certification.
     *   Certification as an EXTERNS-externs must submit the attached Law Student Certification and Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification forms to me (remembering the note above about common PD and DA offices’ practice).
     *   Certification as an INTERN (no credit)-interns must submit the law student and field placement forms PLUS the attached MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING.

*CLINIC STUDENTS: These instructions do not apply to students working in a law school clinic. In those cases, please follow your professor’s instructions re: obtaining your certification.

  1.  Rules Governing Practical Training of Law Students-This is a copy of the NC State Bar’s rules about student certification. You will be expected to have read these rules. If you are working in a private law firm, you can only serve “eligible persons” as defined by the State Bar. This is not negotiable, as it is a State Bar rule. Please do not jeopardize your reputation (remember your character and fitness application for the bar exam) or the integrity of our program by engaging in unauthorized work. If you find yourself trying to navigate this conversation with a supervising attorney, then please reach out to me for additional guidance and support.

Finally, I will reach out to those of you who are registered for the externship course in mid- to late April to discuss other necessary documentation (including the Externship Agreement and Goals Statement which are both mentioned in a few of the documents above but none of which are due on the 1st day). I look forward to working with you all. Please do not hesitate to reach out for clarification after reviewing the information provided in this message and in Blackboard.

Sincerely,

Niya Fonville, Esq. [A button for name playback in email signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/niyafonville>
Adjunct Faculty | Director of Externships
Pronouns she/her/hers (Why Pronouns Matter<https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why>)
Norman A. Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Ste. 101
Raleigh, NC 27603
Tel. (919) 865-4697   |  Fax (919) 865-5993
Connect on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/niya-fonville/>
Personal Zoom Room: https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/j/9254384492?pwd=b3d0ekRGelM3cFBqTWNMSExiUkZSZz09
Students:  request an appointment<https://law-campbell-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?signin_tab=0&PHPSESSID=2f167499d26637e928909d58103fb998&signin_tab=0>
Employers: Post a job for a Current Law Student<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/qidlrne1km7ll5/> | Graduate/Alumni<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/q13wlxj071m4mx/>
Visit our website<https://law.campbell.edu/succeed/career-center/>!

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D719AD.23B04470]   [Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate]
Be kind. Be Intentional. Remember intent ≠ impact.