[Law24] 22-23 Negotiations Advocacy Team Tryouts

Terry, Tatiana M. tmterry at campbell.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:30:20 EDT 2022

Dear 2L & 3L Students,

Campbell Law School will be competing in several negotiations competitions this year. As such, we must begin our tryout process for our Competitive Advocacy Negotiations Team to compete in the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Negotiation Competition. Like its ABA Client Counseling Competition counterpart, the ABA Negotiation Competition provides the opportunity to qualify for an international competition (in 2019, the United States representative, Texas Tech University School of Law, competed in Tokyo, Japan). We are anxious to identify the next group of outstanding advocates to represent Campbell Law's Negotiations Team.

The competition simulates legal negotiations in which student advocates negotiate a series of legal problems. The simulations consist of facts known by all participants and confidential information known only to the participants representing a particular side.

A sign-up sheet has been placed at the entrance to the Advocacy Suite on the 3rd floor to sign up for tryouts for our 22-23 Competitive Advocacy Negotiations Team. Tryouts are scheduled for a single day on Friday, September 16, 2022, from 11:00am-3:00pm in ten-minute intervals. 2L & 3L students may sign-up on the sheet. Sign-ups will close on September 8, 2022. Your specific tryout time and assignment will be provided after sign-ups are closed. Each participant will negotiate against another participant. Students will be given confidential objectives on behalf of either the plaintiff or defendant. Each student will be allowed to present a one-minute opening and then will have a remaining combined 8 minutes to engage in the negotiation on behalf of his or her respective client.

Interested advocates must:
•     Complete the attached 22-23 Negotiations Advocacy Team Tryout Application and attach all corresponding documentation in a single PDF to be returned via email to tmterry at campbell.edu<mailto:tmterry at campbell.edu> and aporter at campbell.edu<mailto:aporter at campbell.edu>, no later than September 8, 2022, at 5:00 pm.
•     Sign-up for tryouts on the list outside of the Advocacy Suite and await your assignment from Director Terry for tryouts.

Good luck to all of the interested participants. Please email me if you have any questions.

Best,
Director Terry

Tatiana Terry
Professor of Trial Advocacy & Director of Competitive Advocacy
919-865-4481
[cid:image001.png at 01D8B87B.22B8E360]