[lawmajordonors] FW: Rich, OCI BIDDING OPENS TODAY! Plus a new student spotlight!

Leonard, J. Rich leonardjr at campbell.edu
Mon Jul 10 09:59:40 EDT 2023

From: Campbell Law Career Center <lawcareercenter at campbell.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2023 9:43 AM
To: Leonard, J. Rich <leonardjr at campbell.edu>
Subject: Rich, OCI BIDDING OPENS TODAY! Plus a new student spotlight!

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/1506a399-e0eb-4d5b-d11c-3268325b7a55.jpg]

EMPOWERING YOU FOR PROFESSIONAL SUCCESS

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/61efc51b-5c13-d2b6-965a-111d709832ac.png]

TODAY:  BIDDING FOR PHASE 1 OCIs IS OPEN!
FRIDAY, JULY 14 at NOON:   PHASE 1 BIDDING CLOSES

Tuesday, July 11 |  6:00 pm in Room 313 |  Litigation v Transactional: What You Need to Know for OCIs
Campbell Law grads Lauren Fussell and Chris Moore, accomplished litigation and corporate attorneys at Williams Mullen, will join us to give you their insights into how big law firms view practice groups, what it really means to practice in litigation and transactional areas, and how to make yourself marketable during OCIs. The attorneys invite you to submit your questions ahead of time via the registration link so they can be responsive to what you want to know! Dinner provided for those who register by Friday July 7 at 5:00 pm. A live stream zoom link will be available if you can’t attend in person. Click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=f9aaede2f6&e=716d1b6c05> to register.

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/4b2b950a-04e1-a514-bb93-b964d99bb297.png]

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/8fa1e3fc-97a6-5512-c244-5e38b0b23b57.jpg]

 BIDDING FOR OCIs BEGINS TODAY!
Phase 1 employers are listed below.

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/f650a748-1258-5dcc-2818-35bc38348c4b.png]

Need a Refresher on OCI Prep? We Have You Covered! Check Out the Tips Below and Don't Forget the Career Center's Law Careers Page in Blackboard has Extensive Resources to Help You Get Ready for OCIs.

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/b9889183-52dc-1582-1309-335265ef648d.png]

Watch These Videos:
• Your Guide to a Successful Fall OCI<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=1e7ef61afe&e=716d1b6c05>
Join Director Underwood for a short, step by step guide to everything you need to know!

• How to use Symplicity for OCI/RC<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=3d585faa7e&e=716d1b6c05>
Need a refresher on Symplicity? Take a few minutes to watch this short video and see how easy it is!

________________________________

[reading icon, book icon, open book icon, study icon]
Read These Documents:

• Step-By-Step Application Instructions <https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=814e4d977e&e=716d1b6c05>
• OCI/RC Process<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=ec2a2b3b5c&e=716d1b6c05>
• Policies and FAQs<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=b6cb6e6a9f&e=716d1b6c05>

    Important OCI/RC Policy Update:
The Career Center staff will be spot checking application materials submitted during OCIs and Resume Collects. Application materials that are incomplete, have careless errors, are incorrectly formatted or otherwise do not appear polished and professional will be withdrawn and will not be submitted to employers. If we withdraw your application materials, you will be notified. If time allows, you can correct the errors and re-submit your materials.

________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/7b8355c2-abb7-075a-0fe5-04ef538d4d34.png]
Cover Letters are Key! An effective cover letter will take time to draft, will function as an excellent introductory writing sample, and will make the reader eager to read your resume. Here are some tips to keep in mind:

  *   Particularly for big law firms with many similarly qualified applicants, cover letters can be a critical part of your application materials. No matter how strong your resume is, employers have told us that cover letters can make the difference in whether you get an interview. Make sure yours is drafted in correct business letter format and addressed to a person (not "To Whom It May Concern" or "Hiring Manager")
  *   RESEARCH the firm/employer and make sure you understand things like where it has offices, whether it represents businesses or individuals, whether its practice is primarily litigation and/or transactional in nature, etc.
  *   Once you KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE, tailor your cover letter to that employer and address why you are interested in working at that firm and why your background/skills make you a good fit.  Do NOT simply restate your resume and do NOT use a generic, one size fits all cover letter.
  *   Avoid careless mistakes that reduce your credibility as an applicant. PROOFREAD PROOFREAD PROOFREAD. Get an early start on the process and plan ahead so you are not rushed when submitting applications. Allow time to ensure every single application represents your very best work and casts you in the best possible light.
Questions?  Need another set of eyes or some feedback on your cover letter? Reach out to Dean Giancola (agiancola at campbell.edu<mailto:agiancola at campbell.edu>) or Director Underwood (munderwood at campbell.edu<mailto:munderwood at campbell.edu>) as needed for assistance with application materials, interview prep or job strategy. We want you to succeed and are happy to help!

________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/4e96ca3f-c1e0-522f-f02a-53ae21b65c9f.png]
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/816697fd-7e04-8660-c2da-905d7dbe4148.jpg][https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/a10b8bab-4cf1-e424-af4d-7e0d9ab178b1.jpg]
Christian Smith-Bishop is a 2023 graduate of Campbell Law, magna cum laude. While in law school, Christian worked as a legal extern for the Durham City Attorney’s Office and the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice. During his 2L summer, he worked as a summer associate at the law firms Cranfill Sumner LLP and Ogletree Deakins. At school, Christian helped found Campbell Law School’s Society of Law and Technology and was the Editor in Chief of Volume 45 of the Campbell Law Review. After sitting for the bar exam, Christian will be starting a federal clerkship in the Northern District of Florida.

During your time as a summer associate at Cranfill Sumner, what responsibilities did you have? “Like many summer associates, I worked on research projects and drafted memos and portions of briefs in various areas of law. I also attended a trial and a deposition. One memorable project was writing a first draft of an entire amicus brief in support of a petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States. The legal issue was a fascinating point of First Amendment law. In addition to the guidance of my fantastic mentor at the firm, I was fortunate enough to have access to a leading scholar and noted litigator in the field to bounce ideas off of. Working on that was excellent experience.”

What particular project did you enjoy most? “Aside from the amicus brief, another project that stands out to me was a matter regarding a cryptocurrency firm. Because crypto is heavily regulated and falls within the jurisdiction of several federal and state agencies, this project was heavy in administrative law. Agency rules are there for a reason, but even sophisticated clients can be overwhelmed with the thicket of regulations and overlapping compliance regimes. The partner in charge kept some guardrails on the project to keep it manageable, otherwise I would have happily worked on it the whole time! One of the reasons I went to law school was to be able to help clients understand what the law requires so they can operationalize their business model within it and reach their goals, so this project was a great fit. Plus, crypto is an interest of mine.”

What experience at Cranfill Sumner was particularly meaningful to you and why? “The projects I already discussed were certainly meaningful, but probably the most impactful experience was not a single project, but an overall takeaway that people matter. In the practice of law, there will always be a lot of pressure on your time. This can quickly lead to tunnel vision. One thing that I thought Cranfill did particularly well was the implementation of a culture where everybody took the time to check in with each other personally and to speak and laugh with each other. People were treated with value and with respect. That was a big part of my experience. I count myself fortunate to have had similar experiences everywhere I have had the opportunity to extern or work during law school, but at Cranfill it was clearly a priority.”

How did you manage balancing law school and family obligations? “Necessity is the mother of invention, and my time management evolved during law school as my responsibilities increased. I learned early on that how I invested my time matters. My general approach was to work backwards from my non-negotiables. Aside from school, my personal non-negotiables included being present for my wife and daughter. Recently, a friend shared a memorable analogy with me that encapsulates something like what I tried to do: she said that when she needs to be present with her family, she conjures a mental image of her work-self as a suit that she removes and puts into a garment bag (which is the bag you hang a suit in) that she then carefully zips up and puts away. And when it is time to work again, the suit comes out. This is what I tried to do. As to grades, studying with strategy and prioritizing self-care are both important. I haven’t found a magic formula yet; when I do, I’ll bottle it and sell it. You just have to take the time to think about what you need to do. Then, prioritize and get it done.”

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/fac4512a-72bd-9fe8-1197-02fa276e727d.png]

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/99403f09-6ddb-020e-f4e5-587b26a27242.png]We are delighted to introduce our new Director of Externships! On Tuesday, July 11 (that's tomorrow!) please join us in welcoming Nick Sanders as the newest member of the Career Center Team! Click here to read more about Nick.<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=b3c3317f55&e=716d1b6c05>

________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/7e827799-7e7d-6f90-8864-640bfc26a3c0.png]
April Giancola
Assistant Dean of Career and Professional Development
email<mailto:agianola at campbell.edu> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=63ab7bccdb&e=716d1b6c05>

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/b41e54bd-d122-acb7-d484-80988eb7b872.png]
Melissa Peacock
Recruiting Coordinator/Office Manager
email<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=7ade4d43a5&e=716d1b6c05> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=cf16ffe09b&e=716d1b6c05>
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/40100c30-2234-91f0-e83e-511492b16a4c.png]
Mallory Underwood
Director of Career and Professional Development
email<mailto:munderwood at campbell.edu> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=1a6cffd520&e=716d1b6c05>

[Email the Center]<mailto:lawcareercenter at campbell.edu>
Email the Center<mailto:lawcareercenter at campbell.edu>

[Symplicity Log In]<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=db83330387&e=716d1b6c05>
Symplicity Log In<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=4cfb76e944&e=716d1b6c05>

[Request a Counseling Appointment]<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=2d4d95aa37&e=716d1b6c05>
Request a Counseling Appointment<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=c561c28d7d&e=716d1b6c05>

[Follow Us On Instagram]<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=f619bdd915&e=716d1b6c05>
Follow Us On Instagram<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=b332edd6b6&e=716d1b6c05>

This email was sent to leonardjr at campbell.edu<mailto:leonardjr at campbell.edu>
why did I get this?<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/about?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=9341469c65&e=716d1b6c05&c=0471b59592>    unsubscribe from this list<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=9341469c65&e=716d1b6c05&c=0471b59592>    update subscription preferences<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=9341469c65&e=716d1b6c05&c=0471b59592>
Campbell Law School Career Center · 225 Hillsborough St Ste 101 · Raleigh, NC 27603-1764 · USA