[Law24] Negotiations Team Tryout Information

Matney, Mary A matney at campbell.edu
Mon Sep 18 12:43:08 EDT 2023

Good afternoon 2L & 3L Students,

Campbell Law School will be competing in a few negotiation competitions throughout the country this year.  Last year our teams competed in the American Bar Association's Negotiations Competition and Tulane Law School's Professional Basketball Competition .  While we have enjoyed past success, we are anxious to identify the next group of outstanding trial advocates to build on our winning tradition.

Formal tryouts for the Campbell Law Negotiations Team are scheduled for this Friday evening, September 22nd from 5-7 pm. Tryouts are open to all 2L and 3L students. .

Interested advocates will receive a negotiations problem and participate in a mock negotiation. All students interested in participating in the negotiations are encouraged to tryout regardless of prior experience. Former participants are not guaranteed a position on the team nor an assignment to any particular competition.

We recognize that all of the 2L class, and many from the 3L class, have not had negotiations experience and most likely have no formal training in preparing or actually negotiating an outcome.  Do not let that dissuade you from participating in tryouts.  Other than being in your 2L or 3L year, there are no prerequisites for participating on the Campbell Law Negotiation Team.  In fact, most of the participants chosen in the past have had no experience whatsoever.  We evaluate candidates based on a number of factors in determining who may be the most capable, dedicated negotiators - so just focus on presenting your best negotiation skills.

Also attached is the Negotiation Team Tryout Application. Once you have completed your application, please scan your tryout application, your resume, your class schedule, then work schedule (if applicable) in that order. These materials should be emailed to: matney at campbell.edu<mailto:matney at campbell.edu> and evin.grant at gmail.com<mailto:evin.grant at gmail.com> by Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm.

Please do not feel compelled to tryout simply because you are receiving this correspondence.  We are interested in advocates who strongly desire to participate in negotiation competitions and are prepared to do the work necessary to be successful.  Our team success is a product of hard work and talent.  Neither alone is sufficient.  I am immensely proud of our past accomplishments; I'm equally excited about our future.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Mary Ann Matney
Director of Competitive Advocacy
Phone: (919) 865-4481