[Law24] Spring 2024 Externship Opportunities

Sanders, Nicholas R nsanders at campbell.edu
Fri Oct 13 16:17:36 EDT 2023

Happy Friday all,

This is a final reminder that there are a number of externship applications that are open in Symplicity but will close this Sunday, October 15th. There are many great potential placements in this batch, including municipal and state government agencies, educational institutions, in-house counsel for corporations, etc.  There are also a number of judicial externship postings still open (see my previous e-mail sent in August). And, again, these are fantastic opportunities in a lot of different areas of law; however, you are not limited to opportunities on Symplicity - if you are interested in working with an eligible employer, reach out to them to see if they have any opportunities available.

I also wanted to note that if you have previously completed an externship, you can complete a second one (Externship II).  Your second externship can be in the same practice area as your first externship -- it just generally cannot be with the same organization (note: different judges do not count as the same organization despite being on the same court.)

LASTLY, here are some new opportunities that have popped up since my last e-mail about Justice Earls's externship opportunity:

  1.  North Carolina Department of Justice - Special Litigation Section: Symplicity ID #19871 (rolling applications)
  2.  Office of Governor Roy Cooper - General Counsel: Symplicity ID #17160 (deadline November 6, 2023)
  3.  United States Bankruptcy Judge Benjamin A. Kahn: Outside Application (submit ASAP)

Judge Benjamin A. Kahn on the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Middle District of North Carolina has an externship position available for the Spring 2024 semester.  Judge Kahn’s chambers are located at 101 S Edgeworth St, Greensboro, NC 27401. The extern will work primarily with the judicial law clerks but will have plenty of opportunities to listen in on hearings, ask Judge Kahn questions, and work on substantive matters in bankruptcy law. For the application, we ask for a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and law school transcript. This position is open to both 2Ls and 3Ls. An ideal candidate is excited and interested in bankruptcy law and secured transactions. There is no current deadline, but all interested students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications can be addressed and sent to Judge's Kahn's law clerk, Sanjiv Sarma:

Sanjiv Sarma
Law Clerk to Judge Benjamin A. Kahn
Sanjiv_Sarma at ncmb.uscourts.gov

Have a great weekend everyone! Good luck, and I hope to see you in class next semester!

Nicholas R. Sanders, Esq. (he/him/his)
Director of Externships
Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27603
Telephone: 919-865-4697
Personal Zoom Room : https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/my/n.sanders