[Law24] Student Practice Certification (information for both externships and internships)

Sanders, Nicholas R nsanders at campbell.edu
Mon Jul 24 16:46:39 EDT 2023

Students,

I hope you are all enjoying your summer. I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself - my name is Nick Sanders, and I joined Campbell Law this month as the new Director of Externships. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

For those of you who are interested in providing direct representation to clients (including a government agency) in court or before an administrative agency during the Fall 2023 semester, you must seek certification from the North Carolina State Bar.  I have attached a one-page information sheet which addresses a number of FAQs about this Student Practice Certification (which was known in the past as the "Third-Year Practice Rule"). If you are unsure whether you need to be certified for an upcoming internship or externship, ask your site supervisor.

Campbell Law has a process whereby you will submit your signed documents directly to me, and the law school will then submit the documents to the State Bar on your behalf.  If you are working at a Public Defender's Office or District Attorney's Office, they may wish to submit a single form with all of their interns and/or externs directly to the State Bar.  If that is the case, just let me know at the time you provide me with your student form.  The documents I need from you depend on the type of opportunity, and are outlined below:

  1.  Certification as an EXTERN (receiving academic credit): (1) Law Student Certification Form and (2) Field Placement Certification Form.
  2.  Certification as an INTERN (not receiving academic credit): (1) Law Student Certification Form, (2) Field Placement Certification Form, AND (3) Memo of Understanding.
  3.  Clinic students: These instructions do not apply to students working in a law school clinic.  Please follow your professor's instructions about obtaining your certification.

I have also attached a copy of the North Carolina State Bar's rules about the Student Practice Certification.  You will be expected to have read these rules.  If you are working in a private law firm, you can only serve "eligible persons" as defined by the State Bar (and located in the Rules and Memo of Understanding).  This is not negotiable, as it is a State Bar rule.  Please do not jeopardize your reputation (remember your future character and fitness application!) or the integrity of our school by engaging in unauthorized work.  If you find yourself trying to navigate this conversation with a supervising attorney, please reach out to me for additional guidance and support.

All of the forms discussed in this e-mail are attached and can be found in the Law School Career Services Blackboard Organization (Information Tab --> Student Practice Certification folder).

Please do not hesitate to reach out for clarification after reviewing the information in this e-mail and on Blackboard.

Best,
Nick

Nicholas R. Sanders, Esq. (he/him/his)
Director of Externships
Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
225 Hillsborough Street, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27603
Telephone: 919-865-4697
Personal Zoom Room : https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/my/n.sanders