[Law24] Fall OCI Bidding Opens TODAY!

Underwood, Mallory T munderwood at campbell.edu
Mon Jul 10 08:09:03 EDT 2023

 Good morning,

Today marks the beginning of Phase 1 for fall OCIs for rising 2Ls and 3Ls! The Career Advisor newsletter has contained OCI updates and information throughout the summer and will continue to do so in the coming weeks, but we wanted to highlight a few things as we officially kick off fall interview season.

First, we want to remind you to take advantage of the OCI prep event tomorrow night (Tuesday, July 11) at 6:00 pm in room 313. The event will feature a unique Q&A opportunity with 2 fantastic Campbell Law grads who work at Williams Mullen, and we are delighted for you to have this opportunity ahead of OCIs. Lauren Fussell and Chris Moore will provide valuable insights into the big law approach to OCIs, explain the practical differences between litigation and transactional law, and offer advice on how to best market yourselves during OCIs. Some of their tips will include things they wish they had known when they were in your shoes. Although geared for students applying to larger law firms, the program will be valuable for all students interviewing for jobs and we strongly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity. Click HERE<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/s13zyglf0w8qn04/> to register to attend in person or virtually.<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/s13zyglf0w8qn04/>

Second, note that bidding for phase 1 will remain open from today until noon on Friday, July 14. At that time, bidding for phase 1 will close and application packets will be submitted to employers. Employers will then have until the following Wednesday to decide which students they would like to interview. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified the Wednesday after bidding closes. You will then have until Friday of that week to pick an interview time. If you do not pick a time, we will pick one for you. We advise that you select an interview time that does not conflict with your class schedule. If a conflict is unavoidable, you should ask your professor (in advance) for permission to miss part of your class. We will be notifying faculty of the OCI interview process and timeline.

We have attached a copy of the most recent employer list for your convenience, but it is also available via Symplicity. The Symplicity list is updated regularly as new employers continue to sign up.

Third, make sure to follow these important steps before bidding:

  *   Calendar deadlines and research employers for each phase.
  *   Address your cover letter, which should be specifically tailored to each individual employer, to a person, not "hiring manager" etc. unless unavoidable. Employers notice attention to detail.
  *   Include all application materials requested by the employer.
  *   Prepare your cover letter in the correct business letter format (see Blackboard resources).
  *   PROOFREAD ... ask a friend, or if time allows, someone from the Career Center to review your resume and cover letter to make sure your materials are correctly formatted and error free.

We want you to be successful, so remember that our office will be spot checking application materials during each phase. If we note that applications are incomplete, contain errors etc we will withdraw them and notify you. If time allows, you can correct the errors and resubmit. However, it is possible there may not be time for you to resubmit, so we strongly encourage you not to wait until the last minute each Friday to submit application materials.

If you have questions about OCIs, our office policies, how to use Symplicity, etc., please see today's Career Advisor for links to everything you need to know. Past Career Advisors are also archived on our Law Careers page in Blackboard, where you can access a variety of OCI related resources.

Good luck as you begin fall interview season, and do not hesitate to reach out to our office if we can assist you in any way.

Warm regards,

Mallory Taylor Underwood

Director of Career and Professional Development

Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law

225 Hillsborough Street, Suite 101

Raleigh, NC 27603

(919) 865-4689

Personal Zoom Room: https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/j/5492620183

Employers: Post a job for a Current Law Student<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/qidlrne1km7ll5/> | Graduate/Alumni<https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/q13wlxj071m4mx/>

[cid:7dc8493d-293c-47c0-b4e8-90993c1b4477]