[Pt2024] Lunch & Learn w/ Dr. Myers: Recap

Mabe, Patrick pcmabe0730 at email.campbell.edu
Fri Feb 18 15:23:59 EST 2022

Hello everyone!

WOW! We had such a great turnout for our meeting w/ Dr. Myers today! *THANK
YOU* to all of those who came and provided outstanding discussion. Also,
thank you Dr. Myers for speaking with us today, many questions were
answered and several tips were provided. We are very fortunate to have you
as a professor.

*Just some quick notes from our discussion with Dr. Myers:*

   1. Approach your clinical rotations with the realization that we will
   make mistakes and we are not perfect. Whether it be a billing mistake or a
   performance error, make sure to realize that it is a
   learning opportunity and strive to improve for the future. Do your due
   diligence. Don't miss red flag items.
   2. Reach out to people, whether it be a Campbell DPT professor or a
   fellow student. You are not alone!
   3. It is very hard to keep up with all new research developments, the
   best way to approach evidence-based practice is to find your biggest weak
   point and research those items. Also, finding credible sources that
   summarize the information for you is the best way to stay up-to-date on
   current literature. Find trusted sources to get these information "nuggets"
   from.
   4. When you have patients with chronic pain - try to shift their mind
   from the pain to the activity they want to do pain free. Dr. Myers gave
   some great tips for treating these patients, see the recording.
   5. Be a good person and even a better student. Go the extra mile to
   focus on learning, growing, caring about your patients, and providing
   optimal care. Your behavior will dictate your future success as a
   clinician. The networking and bonds you develop with your CI will help you
   down the road.
   6. If you don't know the answer to something today, make sure you
   know the answer tomorrow.
   7. If you have a discussion/debate with your CI, make sure it is
   professional - it should be a courteous intellectual conversation and not
   an argument.

There were several other items that were discussed, see the link below for
the recording!

Soon we will be meeting with the 2nd year officers to start the transition
process for leading the Orthopaedic SIG. Please be on the lookout for
further communication on this topic.

Also, if you have ordered apparel I will reach out to each of you
individually to hand off your items. We are still expecting the items by
mid-March.

For those who were not able to attend, click on this *LINK*
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/10J5WnV5fIfzZkPWXS2NoAJxODXDfFzqD/view?usp=sharing>
view the recording.

Have a blessed weekend,

*Patrick Cody Mabe, SPT*