[PT2021] Performance this summer

Green, Michelle D mgreen at campbell.edu
Thu Jul 16 16:30:44 EDT 2020

Ugh right.  This sucks.  This summer and Covid have compromised the learning that we've been able to do.

Right?

Um. No.

Actually, your class has outperformed the past 3 years of cohorts on this summer's exams. Check out the numbers (classes which did the multiple test days are listed, can't compare the first two as it was structured differently)

cohort         2021       2020      2019    2018
Exam 1         86            83          85         83
Exam 2        86             84          84         84
Exam 3        84            80           83         83

So the question is, has learning occurred?
Yes.

Is is undesired learning?
Yes. It is messy and uncomfortable and not the way we like it.

Can learning happen through self-discovery, WITHOUT the professor using a power point and talking you through it?
yes.  It did.  You did above the last three cohorts on every test.

Since March, I have fully read (you know, like every word, chapter and took notes and such...) the following books:
Flipped Learning
Teach Students to Learn
The Master Adaptive Learner
Mindset: the new psychology of success
Big Potential
Ultra Learning
Powerful Teaching

Each of the books supports learning science where true learning ONLY happens with desirable difficulty and is maximized by self-directed learning.  Situations where students are allowed time to identifying their own knowledge gaps, opportunities for them to fill in those gaps through exploration and group discussions, using the professor for clarification (the importance of the live sessions, not for me to teach, but to answer), reduction in reading and re-reading, lessening dependency on power points and increasing the skill of regeneration (saying it a different way, students who write verbatim do worse across the board) and using frequent recall (quizzes, questions and tests). Not in ANY of these texts is there a study where traditional models of delivery (professor teaches in the classroom off a power point, students take notes on their computers and then restudy those notes or the book) resulted in longterm learning (cramming and forgetting, yes. Learning, no)

That means, a skill is being developed. A valuable skill (undesirable I know) that will enhance your retrieval, encoding and transfer of information that will lead to being a great clinician as well as a lifelong learner.

You've done well.
Seeing Covid as an opportunity to challenge yourself in a safe environment;  to learn to be a graceful learner in this world of ours where adaptability and resilience is embraced and sought after, versus dreaded and feared, is a blessing.

I've seen growth. I hope you take a moment to reflect on the areas of growth you have seen.  In fact, share it with me.  I'd love to hear about it.  If you are not quite ready to see the positive in this situation, that's OK, take your time, we have a whole other semester for you to work it out:)😂 Honestly, if you need help, if you want to hash it out, if you want to be frustrated and angry- I' available. Call me!

Thanks for listening.
Green