[PT2021] Behavioral Health Helpful Information & Reminders

Olson, Stephanie M solson at campbell.edu
Wed Apr 1 08:51:24 EDT 2020

The following email is sent on behalf of Behavioral Health:

We know that this is a time of stress and change, as we all work-students, staff, faculty, and administration-to successfully adjust to the many changes being made in the face of COVID-19. Our normal routines have been disrupted, but our daily demands and responsibilities remain. The sudden onset of the COVID-19 pandemic did not give any of us much time to prepare, leaving us all to adjust to rapid changes and develop new protocols, new routines, and new plans as the situation has unfolded. Such disruption tends to increase stress. Given all that is going on, in this email you will find a few tips and some information that may be helpful. Take a couple of minutes to read through it!
Academic Schedule

  *   To the degree possible, try to maintain your routine as much as you can, but approach things with flexibility so that changes can be made where needed.
  *   Watch recorded lectures according to your normal face-to-face schedule when possible. The change in the structure of course delivery could invite you to change how you structure your day, which could be helpful, but could also lead to falling behind.
  *   Create a daily schedule. Stick to what works, adjust what needs to be adjusted.
Studying

  *   Maintain your normal study schedule. Stick to what has been working.
  *   If you typically study on campus, try to designate an area of your home for studying only-but not your bed, that's for sleeping.
  *   If you like to move around when studying (campus for an hour, coffee shop for 2-hours, etc.), designate 2-3 areas in your home, if possible, to move to and from while studying. You may also try studying outside.
  *   If your feeling restless, try breaking your studying up into shorter increments with short breaks between. For example, study 20-minutes, 5-minute break, or study 30-minutes, then a 5-minute break. Experiment until you find a formula that works. Note: studying in shorter increments may also improve recall.
  *   If you benefit from group study, continue your groups using an online format (Skype, Zoom, for example).
  *   You may find little to no difference learning via the online format, but, given the change from face-to-face to online, there may be an adjustment period. Be patient, be creative, and keep positive!
  *   Explore active learning strategies. For example, when watching a recorded lecture, stop the video every so often (5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.), and then write down what you learned in your own words (you may even speak out loud what you've learned as you write it down or sketch it out). Do the same when you review PowerPoint presentations. Don't worry about accuracy initially, as your learning and understanding should improve over time. It may seem like extra work, and it is on the front end, but you should find it helpful as you engage with the ideas actively, rather than passively listening or reading.
  *   Investigate Active Learning on the internet. Here are a few sites to get you started:
     *   https://learningcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/studying-101-study-smarter-not-harder/
     *   https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/active-learning/
     *   https://teaching.berkeley.edu/active-learning-strategies

Self-Care

  *   Exercise-if you can't go to the gym, find alternatives. Here are a few websites with information on home workouts. There are many, but here are a few to start:
     *   Online (video) Cardio Workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWy_aOlB45Y
     *   https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/ultimate-6-week-home-workout
     *   https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6593/top-25-at-home-exercises/
     *   https://www.sgfitfam.com/blog/home-workout-targeting-all-your-major-muscles
  *   Yoga-there a plenty of yoga videos on YouTube, here are a few examples:
     *   11-minute morning yoga https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyFjMupI5B0
     *   30-minute whole body workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEsdXn8oG8
     *   10-minute lower ab workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptV4dEJUx4
  *   Mindfulness-mindfulness can be an excellent way to learn to manage stress. Here are a few useful sites:
     *   Free 8-week online Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course, https://palousemindfulness.com/
     *   Duke University, Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Home Practice, https://dukemindfulness.com/mbct-home-practice/
     *   University of Virginia Mindfulness Center, https://med.virginia.edu/mindfulness-center/continue-your-practice/audio-recordings/
     *   UCLA Guided Mindfulness Meditations, https://www.uclahealth.org/marc/mindful-meditations
     *   Mindfulness information and online videos from Mindful.org, https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/
     *   Guided Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Meditations, Centre for Mindfulness Studies, https://www.mindfulnessstudies.com/mbct-meditations/
  *   Diet-eat well! Being home may invite extra snacking and overindulgence in junk foods. Maintain your normal "healthy" eating patterns. If you feel like snacking due to boredom, go for a walk!
  *   Socializing-while maintaining social distancing, connect with family, classmates, others through technology.
  *   Sleep-be sure to get adequate sleep! The change in schedule could temp you into staying up late to watch TV or get lost in other activities. Maintain a healthy sleep pattern-one that will allow you to transition back into the regular course schedule when it resumes.
  *   Feeling confined to our homes can lead to "Cabin Fever," which is defined as "the distressing claustrophobic irritability or restlessness experienced when a person, or group, is stuck at an isolated location or in confined quarters for an extended period of time." While we all need to practice "Social Distancing" for our own health and to reduce the spread of COVID-19, that does not mean we cannot go outside, go for a walk, a run, a bike ride, a hike, or some other outside activity that allows us to maintain our social distance. Be smart, but, when possible, don't confine yourself to your home. Research shows that simply being outside, especially in natural settings, can improve mood.
Remember, this current disruption in our daily lives is temporary. That said, it reminds each of us that we do not have control over external events; however, we do have a say in how we respond to external events. We can react with fear, anger, frustration, animus, etc., which can lead to a narrow perspective only focused on those things that such emotions allow us to see, or we can respond to the situation with an open-mind, flexibility, creativity, opportunity, and acceptance, viewing the situation as one in which we can challenge ourselves to successfully navigate this short-term disruption. It may even provide an opportunity for each of us to learn something about ourselves. If you have questions or would like to talk with a counselor during this time, don't forget that you have the following resources available to you.

  *   StudentLinc (student assistance program): https://www.mystudentlinc.com/
     *   StudentLinc has a variety of resources available, including online counseling with licensed clinicians. Once you click the link above, scroll down and enter the following password "camels" (all lower case, no quotation marks) where it says "ACCESS THE STUDENTLINC WEB PORTAL."
     *   Once in the portal, you will notice the Dashboard with multiple links to information.
     *   For more information, once you're in the portal, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Contact Us." There is a phone number you can call for more information.
  *   CUSOM Behavioral Health: the behavioral health department is still providing services to students, though all counseling is being done via online video or telephone. Simply email, cusombh at campbell.edu<mailto:cusombh at campbell.edu> to ask for an appointment. There may be a 1-2 week wait (or more depending on the number of requests).

Jeff Krepps, PhD
Director of Behavioral Health Education & Research
Department of Behavioral Health
School of Osteopathic Medicine | Campbell University
Post Office Box 4280 | Buies Creek, North Carolina 27506
Levine Hall (Office 145) | 910-893-1741 | medicine.campbell.edu<http://medicine.campbell.edu/>