[Pa23] PA Faculty Research: The Role of Social Media in PA Program Applicants Matriculation Decisions

Gerstner, Laura R. reedl at campbell.edu
Wed Jan 24 15:44:32 EST 2024

All:

The email below is from a colleague of mine doing research on the role of social media in PA Program applicants matriculation decisions - please complete their brief survey if you have a chance!

We are excited to introduce you to an important research project that explores the role of social media in the decision-making process of students aspiring to join Physician Assistant (PA) programs. Your input could be invaluable in shaping the future of admissions practices in the field.
As you are likely aware, social media has become an integral part of our lives, providing a rapid flow of information and fostering real-time collaboration. It has also become a critical tool for disseminating news and enabling individuals and organizations to connect with their audiences.
With an average of 7.1 social media accounts per person in the United States in 2023, it's evident that these platforms play a significant role in our daily lives.
While colleges and universities have increasingly embraced social media, making the connection between PA programs and prospective students is often more challenging than it should be.
Undergraduate institutions commonly use the concept of "demonstrated interest" to identify students who are genuinely interested in enrolling. However, this approach is less common at the graduate level, potentially disadvantaging both students and institutions.
In our research, we seek to understand how social media influences the decision-making process of PA program applicants. We will assess the role of various social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, YouTube. Our goal is not only to identify the preferred platforms of prospective students but also to determine which types of content on these platforms have the most significant impact on their evaluation, application, and matriculation process.
While we anticipate that social media may not be a dominant factor for every applicant, we believe that providing free or low-cost information through these channels can help colleges and universities attract a more diverse and inclusive group of matriculants.

https://tuc.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8CYGwEL4cQ7pRlQ?Q_CHL=qr  <https://tuc.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8CYGwEL4cQ7pRlQ?Q_CHL=qr>

Thank you for your time and attention,
Pat Heagey
Anu Mathur
Shannon Jackson
Pauline Papapietro
Amanda Lois

Patrick Heagey, MPAS, PA-C
Assistant Professor
West Chester University Physician Assistant Program
930 E. Lincoln Highway 106
Exton, PA 19341
610-436-3278
pheagey at wcupa.edu<mailto:pheagey at wcupa.edu>

[cid:311e0e06-d0b7-4645-a444-8f598a6bf8a6]

For an in-person or zoom appointment- click on the link below.

https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/WCUPAProgram@WCUPA.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/