[lawmajordonors] FW: 2021 Graduation

Leonard, J. Rich leonardjr at campbell.edu
Thu Apr 1 13:38:11 EDT 2021

From: Leonard, J. Rich <leonardjr at campbell.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 1:34 PM
To: lawstudents at list.campbell.edu; Law School - Faculty & Staff <LawSchool-All at campbell.edu>; Law School - All Adjunct Faculty <LawSchool-AdjunctFaculty at campbell.edu>; 'LawBOV at list.campbell.edu' <LawBOV at list.campbell.edu>
Subject: 2021 Graduation

Friends,

After weeks of careful planning, I am delighted to tell you that the Commencement Exercises for Campbell Law 2021 will take place in person and outdoors at Red Hat Amphitheater in downtown Raleigh at 10 am on Friday, May 7.  We will be in full compliance with Campbell University policies and the Governor's Executive Orders with regard to social distancing, entering and exiting, health checks and masking.  Details with excruciating specificity will follow, but I know that many of your families need to make travel and lodging plans.  For purposes of today, these are some basics:

In terms of capacity, each of you will be provided four guest tickets.  Your guests will enter and be seated together as a pod, socially distanced from others.  (Do not request more; it is pointless.)

There is not sufficient capacity to socially distance all of you as a group seated together.  Accordingly, after the processional you will join your family pod for seating.  When Dean Tilly calls your name, you will stand and be hooded in place by a person in your pod of your choosing.  You will then proceed to the front to cross the stage to retrieve your diploma from a distribution table, then return to your seat.  After the benediction, you will again join your fellow students in a recessional line.

The ceremony will be live streamed for those who cannot attend.  There will not be an opportunity to participate in graduation virtually, as the venue does not have the requisite technology.  If any graduate is uncomfortable attending in person, I will provide upon request an opportunity for an in-person hooding ceremony for just a graduate and his or her family in the Boyce Courtroom on Friday afternoon, following last year's practice.

There will be a mandatory rehearsal for all graduates at 10 am on Thursday, May 6.  Faculty and staff who would like to see the venue may join also.

You will be given a date by which you must sign up to participate and list your guests.  If you miss the deadline, you will not be allowed to participate.  For contact tracing purposes, we have to know who is precisely in each seat by section, row and seat number.

Main campus has asked that we streamline the ceremony as much as possible.  Accordingly, as last year, we will convene a virtual Honors and Awards Convocation on Thursday, May 6, at 2 pm to announce the awards normally presented at graduation.  If you are a recipient, Dean Tilly will acknowledge your award when he calls your name at graduation, and your award will be with your diploma.

This is a rain or shine event.  There is no backup indoor venue available.  Our only option would be a virtual ceremony later in the day.

I have every expectation that this will be the memorable celebration all of you so richly deserve.

Dean Leonard