[Law24] Campbell Law Trial Advocacy Team 2022-23 Tryouts

Terry, Tatiana M. tmterry at campbell.edu
Thu Jul 28 12:17:35 EDT 2022

Rising 2L & 3L Students,

Campbell Law School will be competing in a host of mock trial competitions throughout the country this year. Last year, our teams competed in Colorado, Georgia, Texas, and Puerto Rico. This year, our mock trial team is slated to return to a completely in-person competitive season set to compete in Colorado, Florida, California, New York, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Texas, Washington D.C., and many other destinations. In our 2021-22 competitive advocacy season, our teams won two national championships, one national semifinalist placement, two regional championship finalist placements, and one regional semifinalist placement.  Along the way, our advocates also won individual awards for their stellar courtroom advocacy. While we have enjoyed past success, we are anxious to identify the next group of outstanding trial advocates to continue our winning tradition.

Formal tryouts for the 22-23 Campbell Law Trial Advocacy Team are scheduled for Saturday, August 13th (9:00 am - 12:00 pm; 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm), Sunday, August 14th (1:30 pm – 4:30 pm), and Tuesday, August 16th (5:30 pm – 7:30 pm). Tryouts are open to all 2L and 3L students. Registration is now open using the link and instructions below.

•     Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please sign up for a tryout time by using the following link:  https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4CADA82EA4F5C34-campbell2
[https://www.signupgenius.com/images/theme/A7BD3C402B06ACA3C62B7DFBDEEFEF5D_0.png]<https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4CADA82EA4F5C34-campbell2>
Campbell Law 2022-23 Trial Advocacy Team Tryouts<https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4CADA82EA4F5C34-campbell2>
Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you!
www.signupgenius.com


Interested advocates must:
•     Complete the attached 22-23 Trial Advocacy Tryout Application and attach all corresponding documentation in a single PDF to be returned via email to tmterry at campbell.edu and aporter at campbell.edu, no later than August 10, 2022, at 2:00 pm.
•     Prepare a five-minute closing argument from the case NITA Liquor Commission v. Jones, et al.  I have attached a copy of the case file for your convenience. You may choose to represent either side of the case. Both have equally strong arguments. Again, you sign-up to perform your prepared closing argument using the link above.

All students interested in participating in trial advocacy competitions must tryout irrespective of prior advocacy experience. Former participants are not guaranteed a position on the team nor an assignment to any particular competition.

We recognize that all of the 2L class, and many from the 3L class, have not had Trial Advocacy and most likely have no formal training in preparing or delivering a closing argument.  Do not let this dissuade you from participating in tryouts.  Other than being in your 2L or 3L year, there are no prerequisites for participating on the Campbell Law Trial Advocacy Team.  In fact, most of the participants chosen in the past have had no experience whatsoever.  We evaluate candidates based on several factors in determining who may be the most capable, dedicated advocates - so just focus on presenting your best five-minute closing argument.

We are interested in advocates who strongly desire to participate in courtroom trial competitions and are prepared to do the work necessary to be successful.  Our team's success is a product of hard work and talent.  Neither alone is sufficient.  I am immensely proud of our past accomplishments; I’m equally excited about our future.

If you have any questions, please direct them to myself or Anjanette Porter (cc’d above). I hope you all are having a terrific summer, both personally and professionally, and I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.

Kindly,

Professor Terry

Tatiana M. Terry
Director of Competitive Advocacy
919-865-4481

[cid:98d8e717-0c38-409e-bfb0-d19a42133d08]