[Cusom27] summer research opportunities MS1 students

Hamrick, Terri hamrick at campbell.edu
Mon Nov 20 16:15:03 EST 2023

[Sunny Handy]Dear MS1 students,
As you approach the end of block 2 and the mid-point of your first year of medical school, you should consider thinking about your summer.

I know it seems a long way off, but it is right around the corner.  Because of my role in research, I will be sharing with you some research opportunities that I know about.  A couple of common questions:

  *   Must I do research this summer?  No, but if you want research to be part of your medical school experience (and residency applications), this summer is the biggest block of unstructured time for you to devote to a research project.  If this summer needs to be used for something else (philanthropy, R&R, academic catch-up, military training, anatomy TA-ing, etc.), you may still be able to fit research into your training later, It isn't an all-or-nothing schedule.  However, this summer is the most natural opening for a research project.  (If you have questions, comments or concerns, please reach out to me to discuss-cc: CUSOMresearch at campbell.edu<mailto:CUSOMresearch at campbell.edu> to assist with scheduling a time with me.)
  *   What type of research should I do if I know I want to be a ____ (insert specialty of interest)?  Some of the more competitive specialties expect to see specialty-specific research.  It shows investment in the specialty.  Research in that discipline gives you the opportunity to say you dove deep into that specialty through your research effort.  However, if you cannot find a project in that specialty, it is better to do a project not in that area than to do nothing this summer.  In other words, if you cannot get a research project in that area, you can gain research skills now in another area of interest and then be sure to find something else scholarly later that is related to your long-term interest.  (Then in your residency application or interview, you will want to say how the early research experience prepared you for your ultimate goal to be a ___ physician.)
The attached document gives you 3 suggestions for research for the summer:

  1.  CUSOM summer scholars (more details coming later)
  2.  Regional and National programs (most of the attached document)
  3.  Suggestion to continue projects with your previous research groups (or you could cold-call people who are doing work that interests you)

Give this lengthy document a read while you are resting during your thanksgiving holiday. If something seems to be a good fit for you, read the specifics carefully, pay attention to deadlines, and come talk to me.  Some of the programs require a project.  If it is an area of interest for CUSOM or an affiliated site, we might be able to match you up to create a project proposal.  Some will require paperwork from CUSOM &/or the university, so don't wait too long to get started on the application.  I didn't restrict this list to any specific geography.  If you are from the west coast, Texas, the Midwest, etc., and are longing to spend your summer there, you might be able to find a research opportunity in this document that would work for you.  Some of the programs have not updated due dates for this cycle, so you may need to keep watching for updates-applications and deadlines are all over the calendar!
This document is also located in the Research Organization within Blackboard (see the student folder).

Please reach out with any questions, comments or concerns (as always, cc: CUSOMresearch at campbell.edu<mailto:CUSOMresearch at campbell.edu> to assist with scheduling a meeting (in my office or via zoom-either works for me).

Have a safe and restful holiday.  Finish strong!  You got this!

Sincerely,
Dr. Hamrick

__

Terri S. Hamrick, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Associate Dean for Research
Chair and Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
School of Osteopathic Medicine | Campbell University
Post Office Box 4280 | Buies Creek, North Carolina 27506
Levine Hall room 167 | 910-893-1705 | medicine.campbell.edu<http://medicine.campbell.edu/>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA1BC9.FC867E60]<http://medicine.campbell.edu/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or reply by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail from your computer system.  There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication.  Thank you. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL ME IMMEDIATELY AT 910-893-1705