[Cusom27] FW: "Laments for the World"

Pipes, Deborah A dpipes at campbell.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:28:05 EST 2023

Sent on behalf of the Campbell Office of Spiritual Life:

[Image]

Lamenting is a faithful practice in which we do the hard work of putting words to those parts of our lives in which words fail us. It is our opportunity to articulate, in the presence of God, the painful, raw, human emotions and experiences that catch in our throats and cause hot tears to well in our eyes. Laments can be both individual and communal, and the gathering on December 7 will invite us into prayer, conversation, and response to address our own laments and lament to God on behalf of the world. The idea of this service was specifically born from a need to faithfully make room for response to the war, violence, and death happening in Gaza, Palestine, and Israel in a community where belonging and storytelling are so important. While this was the starting place for planning, we know there are other wars raging, there is loss of numerous kinds daily, and grief, isolation, and loneliness are all too real. The is much to hope for and much to lament.

It is important, for this service in particular, that lamenting is not limited to the Christian alone. This gathering and the practice of lamenting can be helpful to anyone. It is our act of lamenting together that brings us into solidarity with one another and with individuals around the world regardless of faith tradition or religious preference.

This Advent season, which is a time in the Christian church year where lament and hope are so closely tied, it feels right to be together for this practice. This gathering and prayer time will be open to undergraduate and graduate students in addition to faculty and staff. Feel free to share this invitation with those you think might benefit from this time. All are welcome.

I hope you will join us in the Chapel this Thursday the 7th.

Louisa

Rev. Louisa M. Ward
Dean for Spiritual Life and Campus Minister
Office of Spiritual Life
Campbell University
910-893-1549