[lawmajordonors] Fwd: Rich, Guess which recent grad is practicing in DC?! Lots of updates in this week's edition!

Leonard, J. Rich leonardjr at campbell.edu
Tue Sep 5 21:01:43 EDT 2023

________________________________
From: Campbell Law Career Center <lawcareercenter at campbell.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 10:21:34 PM
To: Leonard, J. Rich <leonardjr at campbell.edu>
Subject: Rich, Guess which recent grad is practicing in DC?! Lots of updates in this week's edition!

News, events and information to advance your career
View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/fcb84f2789d7/meet-your-career-center-we-are-glad-you-are-here-6251222?e=716d1b6c05>
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/28ef0de6-57f2-eeab-cca8-e5fdeb02f577.png]
calendar events

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/e55ca1f6-5499-4a04-8415-4792d95f75a1.png]
THRIVE: Succeeding in Law School and Beyond | September 12 at 5:30pm at The Durham Exchange
Parker Poe is hosting a reception for minority law school students. This program will allow students to network with Parker Poe attorneys and hear about Parker Poe's THRIVE program. Interested students should email THRIVE at parkerpoe.com to register. To see the event flyer, click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=b14db2ffea&e=716d1b6c05>.

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/ed3f0771-af80-c462-3cf8-6f26051617c2.jpg][https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/bcd5fe34-9158-2f04-19ef-35988b4aafed.jpg]

Thursday, September 26 | WORKING REALITIES: BOTH SIDES OF THE V in room 105 from 12:00-1:00pm

  *   Are you considering a civil litigation practice?
  *   Do you ever wonder how the practical, day to day realities of representing plaintiffs and defendants in civil litigation matters can be very different?
  *   Do you want to equip yourself with important knowledge of practice realities to inform your professional development journey?
  *   Do you want a chance to network with two highly skilled litigators who are extremely accomplished in their respective practices and both Campbell Law grads?

We are excited to welcome the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorney's for a special joint presentation you will not want to miss! This program is for ALL LAW STUDENTS, but it is truly a do not miss event for those who are considering a civil litigation practice.

Meet The Panelists:
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/6d7e8920-b46c-ee5d-c7fa-155cec429eea.jpg]
For the NCAJA, We will welcome Jeremy Williams, a partner with Milberg, Coleman who has successfully recovered tens of millions of dollars for clients across North Carolina and the United States. Click here<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=6d9cd135d4&e=716d1b6c05> for Jeremy's bio.

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/66246ca1-fe37-b5f7-4053-a647b4f7376f.png]

For the NCADA, we will welcome Ashley Brathwaite, a litigation partner at Ellis & Winters who represents a variety of corporate entities including insurance carriers and healthcare companies and providers. She is also a recent past president of the NCADA. Click here<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=ffc6eac3dc&e=716d1b6c05> for Ashley's bio.

Lunch provided for those who register in advance via Symplicity.

keep up with the career center

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/7e475036-bc3b-b753-444a-ebe346d23ab1.png]
We are delighted to announce that this Thursday at noon you will receive an invitation and link to register for this capstone program in our Oh the Places You'll Go Professional Development series!

Be ready to sign up promptly when registration opens as space for this signature event is limited. Once we reach capacity we will maintain a waiting list. Thursday's email will contain more information.

Resume Review Meetings

THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 11, the Career Center will be sending all 1Ls a designated meeting day and time for a resume review meeting with our office. Meetings will begin the week of September 18 and will conclude by November 1. You will also receive a list of things to keep in mind as you prepare for the meeting. In the meantime, we encourage you to visit the Law Careers page in Blackboard to explore video and template resources on how to prepare a professional, polished legal resume.

As you familiarize yourself with our resources, check out these short new video clips demonstrating how to do basic tasks on Symplicity. Follow the links below to watch:

Setting Up Your Profile<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=5850cd56b7&e=716d1b6c05>
Uploading Documents<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=9f30e9a99d&e=716d1b6c05>
Requesting a Counseling Appointment<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=88b2ead9e4&e=716d1b6c05>

Finally, ARE YOU FOLLOWING US ON INSTAGRAM?
Find us at @campbelllawcareers
[File:Instagram logo 2016.svg - Wikimedia Commons]

why use the career center
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/9b6d8031-68eb-9263-6227-c132e6bfc927.png]

This week, we highlight Sofia Baneth, who has chosen to begin her practice as an Honors Attorney with the US Department of Transportation in Washington DC. We are delighted that the Career Center played a meaningful role in supporting Sophia during her time at Campbell, and encourage you to reach out to us in your career and professional development journey as well. We are here to help!

For 2023 Campbell Law graduate Sofia Baneth (23), it has always been important to do work she can stand by and that she feels is making a difference in the world. Her professional experiences and time at Campbell Law have given her the “access to all the tools necessary to do work [she] believe[s] in and to use those tools in a way that positively impacts the world.”

Baneth, a North Carolina native, attended undergraduate at American University where she received a B.A. in Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics, and Government. Upon graduation, she was unsure of her path but had always been drawn to policy work. She began working at DC Volunteer Lawyers Project, a legal non-profit that represents domestic violence survivors, child custody, and Guardian Ad Litem cases. It was here that Sofia set her mind on law school. While working at the DC Volunteer Lawyers Project, Sofia spent a lot of time in DC Superior Court doing meaningful and incredible work which influenced her decision to attend law school. Sofia then began working at Van Ness Feldman on environmental policy work in Washington, DC. This solidified her decision to attend law school and after receiving her acceptance, Sofia returned to her home state to begin her 1L year at Campbell Law in fall 2020.

As a student at Campbell Law, Baneth immersed herself in the school community. She was a Staff Member and Publication Editor of the Campbell Law Review. She competed with the Old Kivett Advocacy Council and worked on the Community Law Clinic. Further, Sofia served as a Teaching Scholar for Professor Wallace’s Constitutional Law class. She was also the Lead Article Editor for the Antitrust Law Journal.

Baneth also accumulated a wide array of professional experience while attending Campbell Law, including: working for the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor doing employment litigation for the employee-side; the N.C. Department of Justice, Office of the Solicitor General doing state and U.S. constitutional and appellate litigation; and the Law Offices of F. Bryan Brice doing public interest environmental litigation.

Sofia is passionate about constitutional law and knew from her first day of law school she wanted to work for the federal government. Having a federal government internship with the U.S. Department of Labor was the first step toward her goal. However, each of her experiences shaped her professional journey and played a role in getting her where she is today. Her advice to students is to “try all experiences that fit your interests. One of the incredible things about this degree and profession is the versatility. Throughout my professional experiences during law school, I worked on cases involving employment law, constitutional law, and regulatory law. All are relevant in my current role. Be open to all of the opportunities that become available to you.”

In her search for externships, internships, and post-graduate positions, Baneth utilized the various resources available at the Campbell Law Career Center. “Campbell's Career Center is top-notch. To give one example, when I got a first-round interview with USDOT, I reached out to April Giancola who immediately connected me with a current USDOT attorney. That attorney explained what it means to serve as a federal government attorney, which helped me immensely in my subsequent interviews. The individuals in the Career Center are highly talented and strong professional advocates. Utilize all of the Career Center resources.” Baneth encourages other students to use these resources, as it was vital in her professional journey.

Baneth began her post-graduate job as an Honors Attorney for the U.S. Department of Transportation in Washington, DC on August 14, 2023.  The Honors Attorney program is a two-year program that allows new attorneys to begin working for the federal government. The program is unique in that Honors Attorneys complete one rotation in the US DOT's Office of the General Counsel and five rotations in different USDOT sub-agencies in their respective Offices of the Chief Counsel. It is a prestigious position and only five Honors Attorneys, either graduating students or students completing clerkships, were hired. Sofia explains that all of the Honors Attorneys are from different law schools and different parts of the country. “It is a very powerful thing that the Honors Attorneys are such a diverse group because it is important we represent the diversity of the country.” In each of these professional experiences, Baneth worked on substantively relevant work to what she is doing in her post-graduate role. Baneth’s most memorable experience was working on a prominent Supreme Court affirmative action case while at the N.C. Department of Justice.

Baneth just began her first rotation with the Maritime Administration where she will be having a strong focus on constitutional law. She is “grateful to have the opportunity to gain experience in various practice areas, particularly administrative, environmental, and constitutional law, as well as engage in litigation, transactional work, and regulatory enforcement and rulemaking. [She] look[s] forward to participating in a well-rounded program and serving as a federal government attorney.

listservs

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/025deb25-8dc1-b061-2c80-b37504c37ec2.png]

Do you want to know more about judicial clerkships? About public interest jobs, grants and career fairs? Diversity initiatives and opportunities? Do you want all of that information delivered directly to your inbox?

Then join any or all of our listservs NOW so you don't miss out on anything this semester!

Click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=8f18995ae4&e=716d1b6c05> to join the judicial clerkship listserv
Click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=b7d1ce6fb7&e=716d1b6c05> to join the public interest listserv
Click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=eaa9cef089&e=716d1b6c05> to join the diversity listserv

Questions? Emaill Director Underwood (munderwood at campbell.edu)

resources & programs

Check this box each week to explore and register for opportunities that are of interest to you!

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/1fcc16c3-e3e4-ecb4-7916-14132ff0e399.png]
NCBA's Grab-a-Coffee Program
This program is a networking opportunity that pairs law students with practicing attorneys based on their practice area(s) of interest. Fall sign-ups close on September 22. Students can sign up HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=a88a37e5ff&e=716d1b6c05>. Don't miss out on this invaluable opportunity!

[Wake County Bar Association/Tenth Judicial District Bar | LinkedIn]
Beginning this Fall, the Wake County Bar Association is offering FREE membership to current law students. Joining provides you with the opportunity to attend a variety of programs hosted by the WCBA, including networking opportunities, CLE access, and more. This is a great way to begin connecting with the legal community in Wake County! Click HERE<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=1d5d6d3e0a&e=716d1b6c05> to register.

career center
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/7e827799-7e7d-6f90-8864-640bfc26a3c0.png]
April Giancola
Assistant Dean of Career and Professional Development
email<mailto:agianola at campbell.edu> | LinkedIn

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/b41e54bd-d122-acb7-d484-80988eb7b872.png]
Melissa Peacock
Recruiting Coordinator / Office Manager
email<mailto:mpeacock at campbell.edu> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=5a722a4f50&e=716d1b6c05>
[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/40100c30-2234-91f0-e83e-511492b16a4c.png]
Mallory Underwood
Director of Career and Professional Development
email<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=85b3843ca2&e=716d1b6c05> <https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=3a267ffbc1&e=716d1b6c05> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=c50fe8b64d&e=716d1b6c05>

[https://mcusercontent.com/1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371/images/9c7dd383-dec7-b417-7f90-5827a91434fb.png]
Nicholas Sanders
Director of Externships
email<mailto:nsanders at campbell.edu> | LinkedIn<https://campbell.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1a6fdf2eea5cf9d8502036371&id=33ee8b691e&e=716d1b6c05>