[Law24] Spring 2024 Student Practice Certification

Sanders, Nicholas R nsanders at campbell.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:04:20 EST 2023

* Please read if your spring internship or externship requires you to be certified through the North Carolina State Bar to represent clients in court or before an administrative tribunal *

Students,

For those of you who will be providing representation on behalf of clients (including the government) in court or before an administrative tribunal during a Spring 2024 internship or externship, you must seek certification from the North Carolina State Bar. (Although formerly called the "Third-Year Practice Rule," this student practice certification is no longer limited to third-year students.)  If you are unsure whether you need to be certified, ask your internship or externship supervisor.  Please note that to be eligible, your supervisor must be a licensed attorney in North Carolina and you cannot be on academic probation.

I have attached a one-page review of the certification process along with the required documents to this email. Please see below for a discussion of which documents you will need to submit depending on whether you will be an intern or an extern. All documents should be submitted to me as soon as possible (your request will be one of many processed across the State).  Note: If you are working at an organization that will host numerous legal interns/externs, they may wish to submit an employer form that lists all of those students at once. That is fine - just let me know when you provide me with your other form(s).

Required forms for certification as an INTERN (i.e., not receiving academic credit):

  1.  Law Student Certification (signed by the student only)
  2.  Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your supervising attorney only)
  3.
Memorandum of Understanding (signed by both the student and their supervising attorney, subsequently signed by me)

Required forms for certification as an EXTERN (i.e., enrolled in LAW-891 or LAW-892 and receiving academic credit):

  1.  Law Student Certification (signed by the student only)
  2.  Field Placement Site Supervisor Certification (signed by your supervising attorney only)

I am also attaching a copy of the State Bar's rules governing student certification.  You will be expected to have read these rules.  Please note that If you are working in a private law firm, you can only serve “eligible persons” as defined by the State Bar (and located in the Rules and Memo of Understanding). This is non-negotiable, as it is a State Bar rule. Please do not jeopardize your reputation (remember your character and fitness application for the bar exam) or the integrity of our program by engaging in unauthorized work.

Once you provide me with the required forms, the law school will submit everything on your behalf. The State Bar will then contact you directly.

As always, let me know if you have any questions. Wishing you continued luck on your exams!
NS

Nicholas R. Sanders, Esq. (he/him/his)

Director of Externships

Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law

225 Hillsborough Street, Suite 101

Raleigh, NC 27603

Telephone: 919-865-4697

Personal Zoom Room : https://campbell-edu.zoom.us/my/n.sanders

Post an Externship Position : https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/externship-position-form/

[cid:f58c9992-e29d-4b5d-95de-a70a63c2c2b1]